RP-150M as surround speaker

Aziz

Hi everybody. This is my first post in this forum. I got a good deal for the following package of Klipsch speakers.

Rp-260f (2)

Rp-440c

Rp-150m (2)

R110sw

The system will be in a multi-purpose family room measuring 9m x9m x2.8m (27x27x3). The sitting area will be in about 30% of that space (5m x6m) with no separation.

3 questions:

1- the package does not have dedicated surrounds like rp-240s. Would the monitor speakers be good enough as surrounds or it will affect the listening experience

2- can these be mounted on the wall, or it is not advisable

3- I have the choice of choosing a receiver, either onkyo tx-NRW646 that comes with the package or upgrade to the heavier and more powerful onkyo tx-zr800 and pay 520 USD extra. Or shall I expend the money on getting extra surround speakers.

Your comments and advices are welcomed

Agreed! The 450c goes great with the 260's. I owned them both. And the 115 sub is the only way to go in a large room in my opinion. And a good 5.1 will get the job done.

As far as wall mounting them in sure it can be done because of the plinth it will be tough. Maybe just mount a shelf in the wall and set them on there? That is how I personally would lo it.

I have the 160M and a whole different setup.  The center will struggle with filling the room, and I agree with K5SS.  I also have the R-115SW.  My room is about 20x24.  I needed the sub in my smaller room, so the sub is almost a must.  

Welcome to the forum!  

Welcome to the forum,  These guys are giving you great advice.  Enjoy the new system!

Thank you all for valuable advices. 

I came across this info while browsing the Klipsch education pages: http://www.klipsch.com/Education/understand-receiver

"To give you the best balance of power and performance, select an amplifier or receiver that delivers continuous watts (many times erroneously referred to as “RMS”) in accordance with the speaker’s rating.

For example, a Klipsch RF-83 floorstanding speaker is rated at 250 watts. So, any amplifier that delivers 250w/channel would be a good match."

" The right amplifier, one that has its power well matched to the speakers, will also eliminate the need to overdrive components, which can induce clipping, which at best distorts the signal and at worst can cause serious damage. Believe it or not, underpowering speakers carries as much danger as too much power."

" Just be sure to keep the receiver’s output closely matched to speaker specifications to ensure years of trouble-free performance."

The speakers that I am planing to get are rated at 150 watts while the Onkyo tx-nr 646 delivers 100 watts at the same impedence of 8 ohms. The other one"ZR800" delivers 135 watts at 8 ohms and 180 at 6. Does this mean that I will be more safe with the expensive receiver even if the listening is the same?

Don't read too much into stated power from onkyo. All those wattages are rated with one channel,going. They are MUCH less with multiple channels going. And as far as having to have rms power that is just stupid. Klipsch are efficient speakers and don't need a ton of power to get plenty loud. Especially since you will run them as small with a nice subwoofer.