How do you set your center channel

dtel

I find it hard to believe 2 Db would make that much difference and thought about going to one Db. Sounds crazy that little difference makes. 

How do most people set there centers ?

2dB can make a huge difference, depending on the frequency and content.

When I used a Belle Klipsch between my 2 Khorns I would vary the center channel (with the passive Klipsch 2ph3 phantom center channel circuit) anywhere from same level as Khorns to -6dB (depending on the recording).

In the mastering studio with some of my bands CD/albums, the mastering engineer would sometimes zero-in on a very specific frequency range using a big Neumann mastering console and change the level by as little as +/-0.25dB.

Unfortunately one setting is probably not going to be optimum for everything. So it kind of depends on how anal one wants to get about it.

In the HT (not as important to me as music) I just use the Onkyo AVR's acoustic setup routine and make any tweaks from there if I need to.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ok finely got a after pic, so before and after. Both are the same size Tv 65", old is crt rear projection 1080i, new is led 4k, big difference to say the least.

post-9700-0-14160000-1441479488_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-25960000-1441479736_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

Ever wondered what was inside a 65" crt Tv.

I tried to take it apart about 2 years ago to clean the lenses and couldn't get to them without taking a chance on messing up something, not a problem anymore.

Worked great for 9.5 years, the last 6 months it went downhill.

post-9700-0-31680000-1441482713_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-09920000-1441482732_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

Unfortunately one setting is probably not going to be optimum for everything. So it kind of depends on how anal one wants to get about it.

I agree.  Those of us who are very anal vary the center channel over a 2 dB max range, depending on the movie, but (I) usually find the Audyssey level about right.  1 dB is supposedly a Just Noticeable Difference with test tones, but in music, I believe I can clearly hear 1/2 dB differences on My Marantz pre/pro Main Volume control.

dtel, if you get a pre/pro or AVR made in this century, be sure to consider Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 built in.  There are competing Auto Room/speaker EQs, as well. You may have a fun research project ahead or you.  See the AVS fourm "Official Audyssey" thread.  Start at the end and work your way back, there may be over 1,000 entries.  See also the Audyssey FAQ on that forum, in the signature of Kbarnes.  Then, there's Ask Audyssey on Facebook.

• Moderators
2dB can make a huge difference, depending on the frequency and content.

Your right, I was thinking 2 Db is not much but when the difference is between different speakers it's really noticeable.

I changed it back to 1 Db and will try it with a few movies and see how it goes.

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
dtel, if you get a pre/pro or AVR made in this century, be sure to consider Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 built in.

True, you know it's old when it has no auto calibration at all, only a test button which produces white noise on each channel for adjustment.

I was looking about a year ago and only the better models had the XT32, I'm not in a rush so I have plenty of time to look around to have a better idea of what I will need. The Tv was needed much more.

I have to say, this Yamaha has been perfect for many years now without a problem. The only pain is the remote volume button to lower the sound works on occasion.