horns for heresey

heycarnut

He is!

PWK focussed on enclosure design and manufacturing,acoustical engineering and marketing and left the design and manufacture of drivers to others for the most part. This is not to suggest that PWK,(and the engineers working for him), might not have had a major role in the driver designs produced by Electro-Voice to be used in Klipsch designs as he was one hello of a big customer of EV. Like most astute engineers and businessmen PWK subscribed to the principle that - If it ain't broke don't fix it and in addition to using the EV drivers used the horns EV produced for the tweeter and midrange!

It is my understanding that while EV was the primary supplier of drivers for Klipsch speakers - drivers were also sourced from Stevens,Altec and Atlas. To the best of my knowledge Klipsch still obtains its drivers from outside suppliers and concentrates its efforts upon engineering, enclosure design/manufacturing and marketing.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 08-17-2002 at 08:26 PM

The K-77 and K-77-M tweeters used in the Heresys are indeed Klipsch branded ElectroVoice T35As. The K-55-V squawker driver used in all but the last few years of Heresy production are Atlas PD5V drivers. The K700 and K701 squakers horns were manufactured for Klipsch.

Klipsch designed all their own squawker horns' LENSES...the manufacture of them was subcontracted out to a foundry and they were assembled, machined, and finished at Klipsch. The tweeter horns were the standard EV T-35 tweeter horn and integral to the tweeter.

Woofers for the speakers were sourced for most of the production of Heresys from Eminence...as were they for the rest of the line after the early 1960's up until at least 1983.

Squawker drivers were Atlas.

Therefore, you are BOTH correct in one-half of the "horn debate"...you are correct about the squawker horn lens, and your friend is correct about the tweeter horn lens.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 08-19-2002 at 10:07 PM

HDBRbuilder

GREAT - I finally get a chance to Slap Down a newbie and you jump in with a compromise! Just once more and the negatives are mailed to the National Enquirer!

AKA - Great Info!!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Lynnm and Rob's friend were right. None of the horns was _made_ by Klipsch.

There is nothing very special about the squaker horn. It is just an exponential horn, very much like the ElectroVoice 8HD. The metal one is considerably heavier than the 8HD, though.

As far as woofers go, they actually appear to have been sourced for more years from companies other than Eminence. Of course, that doesn't mean that Eminence may not have supplied more woofers than all the other suppliers combined. Don't know if they did, though.

Woofers for mid 60s Heresys were a variant of the ElectroVoice SP12B labelled K22. After that were two flavors of alnico magnet woofers from CTS, also labelled K-22. Eminence does not seem to have been a source until the mid to late 70s with the K-22-EF. There may have been some switching back and forth between suppliers as alnico was phased out. I saw one Heresy with a Type D network with an Eminence woofer with ceramic magnet that was about a year earlier than one of my Heresys with a CTS alnico magnet woofer and a Type E network. Woofer might have been replaced, though. The last of the Heresys had a K-22-K. Don't know who manufactured those for Klipsch. Anybody know?

Once again, the squawker horn lenses for ALL the "heritage" speakers were designed by Klipsch, then outsourced for PRODUCTION...in the case of the metal horns, they were shipped to Klipsch in two halves from the foundry, where they were assembled together, milled and tapped for drivers, and then painted...for a few years, this was done by a subsidiary company on Klipsch property in Hope, AR...that company was called "Wounded Buffalo"...its building became the lab in the early 1980's (when the anechoic chamber was added to that building)when the company was absorbed into Klipsch...it had previously been owned by Tommy Crouch, the Chief Accounting officer of Klipsch for a number of years...I have no idea what the foundry name was that cast up the metal horn halves, nor do I know who produces the plastic ones...but, nevertheless, those are horns of Klipsch design!

One of the "keys" to Klipsch has always been its design of its own squawker horn lenses...in order to have them match up with the other drivers/woofers/tweeters utilized in the cabinets.

------------------

I can now receive private messages