Tell me what you think......

Femtochemistry

I think you will be very happy with this combo. I have a Denon 3801 and am very pleased with it. You won't find a better HT Receiver for the money.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

In my opinion, the speakers look great, however, I would instead steer away from receivers. My philosophy is, if you know it's something you're going to be using for a long time, buy the top of the line (seperates), that way, you don't spend 700 now on a receiver, than 1,400 later on a better receiver, and just keep the same pattern till you're to seperates. I guarantee you if you get a good seperates system, you will never regret it and you will look at receivers in a whole new light (a bad one), no offense to receiver users out there, I was using one just up until recently.

------------------

-Trevor

Trevor,

I agree on the seperates issue. I run a seperate power amp for my La Scala's. The thing one must consider is how much they are willing or can spend on a complete new system.I myself have been thru both sides, receivers, seperates, back to using both. Lets look at the Denon 3802 or in my case the 3801. Both have ample power and its good clean power. Excellent D/A conversion and all of the various surround decoders one would need at this point of the game. In my case I use the denon to drive my center and surrounds. Since most of us here have Klipsch speakers then we have the advantage of higher SPL with less power requirements. And in most mid to high end receivers today you will get a very good supply of juice with low noise. the cost for the 3802 he is considering is roughly $1000.00. Now if he was to go into full seperates this cost would easily triple or quadruple. I think he is on the right track for what we plans on investing...IMHO

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

quote:

Originally posted by SCOOTERDOG:

Trevor,

I agree on the seperates issue. I run a seperate power amp for my La Scala's. The thing one must consider is how much they are willing or can spend on a complete new system.I myself have been thru both sides, receivers, seperates, back to using both. Lets look at the Denon 3802 or in my case the 3801. Both have ample power and its good clean power. Excellent D/A conversion and all of the various surround decoders one would need at this point of the game. In my case I use the denon to drive my center and surrounds. Since most of us here have Klipsch speakers then we have the advantage of higher SPL with less power requirements. And in most mid to high end receivers today you will get a very good supply of juice with low noise. the cost for the 3802 he is considering is roughly $1000.00. Now if he was to go into full seperates this cost would easily triple or quadruple. I think he is on the right track for what we plans on investing...IMHO

ok,

guys, i have no clue what you are talking about! What are seperates? You recommand i hook up the speakers with no receiver? how?

thx,

This message has been edited by Femtochemistry on 08-18-2002 at 08:29 AM

Femto,as you are considering buying your speakers from an e-tailer, I assume you are concerned with saving money. Therefore, I like Trevor, think you should spend those savings on a good front-end. You might check this site for a good preamp/processor such as the Aragon Stage One and Aragon 2007 amp. For $7000 the sound will probably be better than the Denon. No offense to receiver owners out there, but for just $6300 more you'll get better sound.

Good luck to you, and let us Denon receiver owners know what you think of the pre/pro!

Keith

My Denon 5803 can play ball with the best of them. Agreed it's not Krell mono-blocks but who the heck has a spare $360,000 sitting around to buy them. (They are $120,000 a pair) and you would need three pair to power the typical 6 channel home theatre. I have owner Yamaha, Bryston seperates, Lexicon, Sony, marantz and Denon and by far, my 5803 is my favorite unit. I guess maybe because it has all the new technology but it sure is a sweet unit. Granted, it's pricy but it sure does have nice sound and power to spare. My Klipsch love me for it.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

there ARE receivers that perform as well,even better than(depending on what you're comparing)'seperates'.

sony stopped making my receiver(made less than 1yr.) because:

1. too low a price point for the product's performance/build quality level.

2. too close to their seperates in performance to justify the additional cost

besides, if you later want seperate amps, most receivers have pre-amp outs.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Fem - If I may, I'd like to point out that some of the above responses, IMHO, are tongue-in-cheek, just in case you didn't catch that.

But, yes, there is a case to be made for separates. It all depends on your budget. You will not likely find separates of equal quality as a receiver for the same total price of a receiver (especially the 3802).

(In case you are still wondering, separates refers to having separate devices for the different functions which a receiver combines in one unit -- amplifier, tuner, pre-amp, Dolby Digital/DTS decoder, etc...).

Doug

------------------

My System

Let me throw my 2 cents into this.

Yes separates are better. Let me get that out of the way before I begin.

The biggest problem you may encounter is as previously mentioned, price.

A good example of this. My friend spent $1,300 some years ago on a Denon receiver.

Mostly to outdo him (a guy thing I guess) my other friend bought a preamp and amp and spent nearly twice as much money. Sounded incredible, but to this day he was never able to afford to finish off his system. Things just kept coming up and he has been listeing to everything in stereo for the past 8 years or so, while my other friend has been enjoying surround sound on everything over the same period of time. And let me add, the Denon reciver was no slouch and sounds pretty darn good itself. And the Denon was a one time purchase and not something that he would add to over time.

Actually, to make one correction to the above. There was a point where my friend had some extra cash and was getting ready to add an amp and speakers for surround and a center channel. Unfortunately he was now married and his wife went through the roof when she found out he had to buy another rack to store the amps and to had to buy 2 more amps and had to buy 3 more speakers. It was gonna take up too much space in their living room.

Again, my other frined is still enjoying his receiver that only takes up one shelf and still manages to sound pretty good. As a matter of fact, most of you will probbaly remember that the older receivers didnt provide equal wattage to all the speakers. The rear channels usually had less power than the mains. The friend with the Denon went out a few years later and got an amp to power the rears and make everything equal. So he is using his receiver as a preamp as well.

So as a moral to this story, if your gonna get separates, make sure you have the money to do it and make sure you have enough room to put all the separate amps and a preamp. It will sound great, but so will a Denon 5803.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Toshiba 3109 and Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

I'll repost my opinion, less the humor. For the money,with the features it offers,the Denon 3802 receiver is simply unbeatable. To buy separates of equal quality one would have to spend much more money. When Denon gets the adjustable crossover down to the 40hz range the receiver will then have 'it all'.

Keith

Femto,

Overall your choices are very good,the Denon 38XX series receiver is a good choice.

The greatest gripe I have with your choices is the...you guessed the weak subwoofer.I mean come on get at least a RSW12 or better if you can.

The other two subwoofers I would consider with this speakers system are...

Sunfire Signature

SVS Ultra with Samson 1000 amp

These two put the KSW15 six feet under,in output,quality and majesty.

Most complain about the Denon,sure its not the top of the line unit like the 5803,but the 5803 aint no eight wonder of the world.I had a 5800 and now I have a far superior setup consisting of the Sunfire Theater Grand II and three Celste(4250SE,4150SE and 4070)power amps,these four comonents make any receiver sound lacking both in the musicality dep. and power wise.Its glorious on music and grandiose when recreating the total HT experience.

Still the Denon 38XX series are A ok as a starter centerpiece.

Get a better sub(much better Sunfire Sig or SVS Ultra)

Unless you listen mostly to music,in this case I would undersatnd waiting with the subwoofer purchase and I would get the Sunfire Theater Grand II with the ATI 1505 or 2505(have these too Smile.gif ).

TheEAR(s) Now theears