Heat maximums for recievers

YK Thom

I had an Onkyo TX-NR809 that would heat up, I bought an external USB/power plug power fan and used it on the the USB input to power it while being used and drove the air away (exhaust) while in it's shelving unit. Kept it running cool that way and didn't have to use the external power cord.

I think that Nelson Pass said that if you can keep your hand on the heat sink for five seconds or so, it is okay.

I wonder what happens to car stereos in Arizona. A parked car with the windows up must drive temperatures of everything up to 130 F.

Same goes for engine electronics and the estimated 100 microprocessors in a modern automobile. They have to operate down to -30 F and lower. Who knows what under hood temperatures get to be in the summer. It's wonder they work.

WMcD

• Like 1

"I think that Nelson Pass said that if you can keep your hand on the heat sink for five seconds or so, it is okay."

Yes, and that's about 140°F.

The ADS powered car speakers would thermal out in direct sunlight, and not even turn on.