MHDT Havana VS Schiit MultiBit Bifrost

joessportster

So they are both in the house and the rub is this I hate analytical SQ it just kills the mood, I love detail and clarity but want to retain the vinyl-esk sound 

Basically a warmish slant

Havana does this in spades, supremely musical and involving, but it does have some minor drawbacks, It will not support Higher resolution, and you can get tube hiss at higher volumes.  I am not a huge tube roller but you can roll to your hearts content, I personally found my favorite (The WE396a) and that was the end of rolling for me

The Bifrost is supposed to offer a warmish SQ while offering advanced detail and clarity, It is dead quiet and it does support basically any resolution you may want to hurl its way..............1 hour in and It seems to make good on its promise of warmish SQ with great detail and clarity

Neither one is standing out as sounding head and shoulders above the other, I have a feeling it will come down to features

But I am going to take some time with this decision, my last DAC move left me very unhappy

Hey

The multiple hours burn in were aimed at the original Bifrost and the Uber Bifrost,  The new multibit is supposed to be 99% burned in at 4 hours use

Uber compared to Multibit,  IMHO there is no Huge difference in SQ, My impressions are that the Multibit is smoother more analogish, with possibly better bass, some have said it is clearer

I will say Multibit will not be supplanting my Havana, The slight edge is more than I want to hear, my HD800 headphones are superbly revealing and if any offending traits are there I will hear them, as everyone is saying burn is is 4 hours, I think I have heard what I need to in order to make my decision on which stays

My last go round with DAC's kind of put me in the same spot, and though the slight edge is VERY SLIGHT I am not willing to give up my Havana a 2nd time

I'm looking forward to your review, I have the Ubered Bifrost. Most of what I have read about the bifrost in general, says multiple hours before settling in.

t

My Uber Bifrost is so good, it's as far as I'm going to go with any DAC.  

Totally understand that, I have been bit in the AZZ by supposed upgrades, (Recently with a DAC  :D )  I was so bummed out after trading my Original Havana Dac for what was supposed to be an upgrade (in numbers it was a big upgrade, and all the reviews called it great)  I absolutely HATED that damn thing,  I bought a very high end converter as everyone said that dac shined with better transports,  The converter did help it but I was still feeling slighted and wanted only to get out of it

I got lucky and it sold on audiogon and the next day an upgraded Havana was posted for sale and I was just dumb lucky to be the first to see it and respond to the seller I wanted it

so here I am again comparing a supposed upgrade to Havana,  while the Bifrost Multibit is very good It will NOT replace my Havana  :D

Hey

The multiple hours burn in were aimed at the original Bifrost and the Uber Bifrost,  The new multibit is supposed to be 99% burned in at 4 hours use

Uber compared to Multibit,  IMHO there is no Huge difference in SQ, My impressions are that the Multibit is smoother more analogish, with possibly better bass, some have said it is clearer

I will say Multibit will not be supplanting my Havana, The slight edge is more than I want to hear, my HD800 headphones are superbly revealing and if any offending traits are there I will hear them, as everyone is saying burn is is 4 hours, I think I have heard what I need to in order to make my decision on which stays

My last go round with DAC's kind of put me in the same spot, and though the slight edge is VERY SLIGHT I am not willing to give up my Havana a 2nd time

Thanks Joe, I got into my Bifrost second/third hand so I don't have big $'s in it. I too found it has a bit of an edge and if the Multibit would smooth that out I would consider it.

Tom

The Multibit retains a bit of an edge above Havana's presentation..........I would guess it is likely less edge than uber but it is there

I am either sending mine back or selling it for what I loose by sending it back, they wack for 5% plus shipping so thats near 50-60.00 I will loose for the audition