Upgrading/Repairing RF-3's

Xiphias

Hi, I am looking to upgrade/repair a pair of RF-3's (I purchased used knowing they needed work). One of the crossover's is fried (burned/unusable) and the other is black (burn marks) around the wires leading to the speakers - I assume it needs to be replaced as well. Should I just replace with the the same crossovers (ebay etc) or is their an upgrade recommended?  I also was thinking about upgrading the wires from the crossovers to the speakers to 16 or 14 gauge - the wire currently looks to be 20 or 22 gauge.  Will this effect the performance in anyway or cause issues? Also both tweeters are warped/slightly melted bad where the diaphragm attaches. Any suggestions on repairing the horns or just buying new one's and new diaphragms?  It's obvious the crossovers overheated as well as the tweeters - the previous owner mentioned it was a amp issue that caused the crossovers and tweeters to burn up / overheat. Anyways fun project and just looking for any advice. Tweeters are the K-105-K's. Woofers are fine. I appreciate any feedback / suggestions. Thank you!

Tony 

Edited by Xiphias

Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

Too bad about the crossovers.

Have you estimated the cost of new tweeters/crossovers?  I ask because finding another used pair of RF-3's that are fully functional should not be that difficult and the prices are reasonable at an average price of around $300.00.  Some more, some less.

Bill

• Like 1

If I am correct, the K-105-K would probably be in the ballpark of between $50 and $75 a piece, the crossovers would be about the same. Add in shipping, and you could probably land yourself a pair of RF-3's. I hate to say it, because I love the 3 series - I think they're underappreciated...but I think you're better off scrapping those.

There's actually a pair near me for $350 in pretty good shape.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. I would expect that the woofers in your very badly used RF3 may questionable as far as the condition of the VC goes just because they work does not mean that they are fine. Given the description of the overall condition of these speakers I don't think I would have taken them for free. That said I don't need make work projects and you may well be interested in the work to learn. I would suggest that you part the speakers out sell each and every part,cabinet grills xover cups feet woofers. You may be able to recoup your investment.

If you really want to keep the woofers you could mate them up with a larger horn better horn/driver along with a new crossover, a larger cabinet will let you get some additional bass extension and a larger horn will result in the ability to cross lower while improving upon the horns polar control. A horn like the HP64 is a good one inexpensive precision throat geometry and fits an EV DH1506 perfectly. The square mouth permits easy polar pattern switching. Some 25 - 30 PPI open cell foam in the throat up to the diffraction slot makes them sound better cost very little see link. EV DH1506 can be found used for very reasonable price they are monster drivers true pro quality build and hifi quality sound. They can be found used regularly and they have excellent aluminum diaphragm one piece dome/former with polyimide surround very well made you will want to make a hangar for them as they are very heavy. Hope this may be of some interest have fun with your project what ever it is.

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/electro-voice-hp64m-horn-lens/

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

Found a pair for $150 working but one speakers cone woofers are creased. They sound pretty decent and cabs,grill pegs need some some minor touchup so, hope you did not spend a bunch. Mine are keepers until such time as would consider parting out for lack of room. Given the number of parts you would need, another pair to make one decent pair would, be the most cost effective way to go, IMHO Craigslist is a good source at times, depending upon location.

Welcome to the forum! They make for a decent HT or even a 2 channel system, IMHO

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1