the X-curve

Paducah Home Theater

I guess more than anything I'm just kind of wondering if there's a frequency response that I can mimic that would be easier on my ears. I usually listen at -25 db. Much more and with some movies I will have desensitized hearing for a few days. I have had it in my head that the x curve may be the answer to this. I've always had sensitive ears plus my left is damaged a bit from shooting rifles.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

We need to figure out how to defeat the X Curve in the new KPT Surrounds...

Unfortunately, I know nothing about crossovers. However, I'm very willing to provide pictures and such of my crossover to anyone who thinks they can defeat it.

I really wish there was more interest in this I would love to try my KPT 12 VBs and KPT 1201s with out it.  Calling Chief Bonehead,  Can you help us out here?  I will still take my pro surrounds, X-curve or not, over the top of the line consumer Klipsch surrounds I have used in the past.

I guess more than anything I'm just kind of wondering if there's a frequency response that I can mimic that would be easier on my ears...Much more and with some movies I will have desensitized hearing for a few days. ...my left is damaged a bit from shooting rifles.

I believe that a dip around 3-6 kHz is the most important to relieve further hearing loss.  That's about the resonant frequency of the human ear canal, that experiences the most damage. Frequencies above and below these frequencies are partially protected by the physical design of the ear. 

One of the reasons why I've begun remastering all my music is that I found a great many recordings with exaggerated loudness at these frequencies, particularly loud electric guitar, screaming vocals, and exaggerated soprano or alto saxophone solos.  I refer to the fixing of these tracks as "de-fanging the music".  You catch my drift.  I'm amazed at how many recordings have been deliberately mastered to exaggerate these frequencies, and by 6-12 dB, which is a great deal of HF boost at these frequencies. 

I also note that a lot of earbud/iTunes wearers have these frequencies exaggerated--for reasons that are completely obscure to my understanding: those frequencies are the frequencies that are the most sensitive to our ears and therefore require the least amount of loudness to hear clearly.  :huh:

I've found that a lot of movies, particularly those of the "comic book character" variety, have exaggerated levels of 3-6 kHz noise effects.  The only thing that helps to prevent further issues with these is simply turning the soundtracks down.  Using a custom room curve might also relieve part of that damage process if you find it difficult to turn it down.

Also note that shooting rifles and pistols without sufficient ear protection (I recommend plugs+ear muffs for best protection, and keeping your mouth shut when you fire) is the most common and the most damaging source of hearing loss.  Working around jet engines, wind tunnels, mortars, artillery, air impact equipment, and hitting weldments with hammers--all without sufficient hearing protection on your head--is also on that "most damaging" single-event hearing loss list.  It only takes one or two really bad events without protection to experience permanent loss.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I believe that a dip around 3-6 kHz is the most important to relieve further hearing loss.  That's about the resonant frequency of the human ear canal, that experiences the most damage. Frequencies above and below these frequencies are partially protected by the physical design of the ear.

Unfortunately I think Klipsch Reference is noticeably bright in this same range by default which goes back to my original point. This sounds great on low'ish volume music, very colorful. I also think it could do more damage than intended with high volume movies. I thought the fatiguing stuff was higher though. The big compression drivers on the cinema line doesn't seem to have quite the same signature in terms of fatigue. That's why I keep eyeballing the KI-396's. I know that compression driver works and doesn't rip your head off. Otherwise I probably need to get a 10 channel MiniDSP and outboard all my amps so I can control the response of everything.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think Klipsch Reference is noticeably bright in this same range by default which goes back to my original point. This sounds great on low'ish volume music, very colorful. I also think it could do more damage than intended with high volume movies. I thought the fatiguing stuff was higher though. The big compression drivers on the cinema line doesn't seem to have quite the same signature in terms of fatigue. That's why I keep eyeballing the KI-396's. I know that compression driver works and doesn't rip your head off. Otherwise I probably need to get a 10 channel MiniDSP and outboard all my amps so I can control the response of everything.

With my Marantz pre/pro, Audyssey Reference (plain old Audyssey, with it's slight roll-off above about 8K, and its "midrange compensation" dip at about 2K) can be superimposed on the oddly named "Surround Parameter" setting of "HT-EQ ... ON," with its roll-off. Together, they knock the s**t out of the treble.  I find the result severly lacking in treble, but it might be worth a try, if you have both of those options.

Edited by garyrc

Also note that shooting rifles and pistols without sufficient ear protection (I recommend plugs+ear muffs for best protection, and keeping your mouth shut when you fire) is the most common and the most damaging source of hearing loss.  Working around jet engines, wind tunnels, mortars, artillery, air impact equipment, and hitting weldments with hammers--all without sufficient hearing protection on your head--is also on that "most damaging" single-event hearing loss list.  It only takes one or two really bad events without protection to experience permanent loss.

Chris

Yeah I screwed up, got into 3-gun and made the mistake of going to a meet in August.  The heat and humidity made my foam ear plugs turn into wet noodles which didn't work too well since I apparently have small ear canals and always have trouble inserting them even in good conditions.  I tried to squish them up and they would just instantly expand when I let go.  I crammed one in thinking it was good enough but apparently not.  Complicating the issue is that I had some ear muffs that I thought were ok, but they seem to just amplify gunshots.  Compensated rifle blasts just ripped right through them.  I should have just left but I didn't, just suffered through it.  Wasn't a real good decision.