Anderson Power Pole connectors

tube fanatic

In regard to the "Little Sweet Potato" I was asked what kind of connectors I use to separate the power supply from the amp.  Anderson Power Poles are fantastic in my opinion.  They provide a really tight electrical connection and are rated for way above the requirements of even higher power amps.  Oh yes, they are also dirt cheap too!  Here are a couple of videos which show how the pins are prepared when using them.  That's the only tricky part if soldering the leads instead of using a crimper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzLvdR6X81k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwvUaP2tbgY

Maynard

I use the PP-15s which are the smallest available and are rated for 600V @ 15 amps!  They are more than sufficient for the 158V @ 0.185A that the Sweet Potato draws! :lol:

For connecting the pins, I prefer soldering and use a technique slightly different from that shown in the video above.  The crimper is too expensive, and I much prefer soldered connections over mechanical ones.  I'll add that these connectors work great for speaker cables also.  I use them for just about any application which doesn't require a shielded plug and socket.

Here's Mouser's link so all can see just how cheap these are (in terms of cost, not quality!).

http://www.mouser.com/catalogviewer/default.aspx?page=1656&highlight=879-1327G6FP-BK&catalogculture=en-US&catalog=648

Maynard

I've used the Anderson Power Poles on ham gear. For some gear it is the only way of getting power into the unit at the chassis. They are widely used in ham industry.

On crimping versus soldering overall:

In the electronics industry including military, there is good theory. With poor soldering skills it is possible to make a "cold" solder joint to any connection. I think my soldering skills are up to snuff but I do use a Weller temperature controlled iron and the eutectic solder as mentioned in other posts. And I do "tin" the wires after giving them a twist.

Now, you have probably seen the myriad of crimp type automotive connectors at HD. Often a crimping tool made of stamped metal are sold with the connectors. There is a color coding of the connector (red, blue, yellow) and the crimp location on the tool. This can work well with some careful use.

There are two things going on with the expensive crimping tools, though. One is that the die is very well designed, much moreso than the stamped metal tool at HD. The second is the tool will not release unit you have scrunched things down to what it required. Therefore, with the expensive tool, you are almost totally assured of a good connection. The military likes this over teaching soldering skills. I think my soldering is okay though.

Video #120 is very good. You must be sure get the "hook" in the proper orientation.

One issue discussed is on point too. You have to force the metal connectors into the housing until they click. That is somewhat easy if you're working with thick wire. With thin wire you are "pushing on a rope." A small screwdriver (like the jeweler's ones in computer tool kits for $10) will help drive them home.

Overall, the Power Poles are great.

Let me be a "broken record." As with soldering or refinishing your speaker boxes, or crimping. It is difficult to do an very good job the first time around. So do experiment first, make a dry run or dress rehearsal to gain some experience first.

WMcD

Guest David H

I use power poles on ham gear, rc, automotive and audio. Excellent connectors.

If you are going to use a lot of them I recommend the crimp tool.

Dave