To much gain on phono

The Dude

I have noticed on both my Scott 222c and my Tube Pre amp Sp6 from tubes4hifi.  That when I am on phono there seems to be so much gain that it creates and airy sound.  Not so much a hum, unless I turn it all the way up but at about half volume I start to notice it.  I don't hear anything when music is playing just with no music, with our with out rcas connected. Is this normal or do you think something is wrong?

Thanks

It isn't unusual to hear what you describe considering how much gain is needed to boost the minuscule output of phono cartridges to line level for the subsequent stages.  The gain of the stage can be reduced if you want to get inside and do some modifications; but if it doesn't bother you, I'd forget about it.  From what you describe, the signal to noise ratio is sufficiently high to not be an issue when the music is playing.  That's the only thing which matters.

Maynard 

• Like 1

I was going to say something similar but totally different than what Maynard said. Different cartridges and Phono Pre's have different output levels as well, so you'll get that with them sometimes. Some say to dampen the arm,some say if it doesn't bother you,don't do anything. I'm by far not even close to very knowledgeable, but when I asked almost the same exact question, the answers were to dampen the arm, change carts, or the phono pre.

I notice also as I just purchased a tubed phono pre that it does the same thing more with it than with my Cambridge Audio SS Phono Pre. But while playing there's no background noise with it,so I leave it alone as well.

• Like 1