Which receiver should I be using?

AdamITR

Been out of the game for awhile … you can read my other post here:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/161388-new-member-…-needs-some-help-please-pics/

My question is:  What Receiver Should I Use?

I have both of these in my house right now.  Again, I’m new.

They are (5.1):

1. Sony STR DA5ES (this is what is hooked up now)

2. Yamaha HTR-3063

The rest of my system:

Sharp 1080p 32” LED TV

Sony BD Player

Apple TV

Mac Mini (Media Server)

Klipsch RSX5 Speakers

Klipsch RCX4 Center Speaker

Atlantic Technology 262 Subwoofer

Opinions?

I will start by saying how does the system sound to you.  These are not particularly large speakers and you may be just fine.  I still use a Sony avr and have not thought of replacing it.  It did a  a good job pushing my Icon V system and has even pushed my larger speakers.  It's only a 100 watt avr.

What is the room size, how loud do you listen, and budget are factors to consider.

Edited by derrickdj1

I don't really know how to answer that..... The 5 Es is one of the best receivers I have ever owned. I took me a couple of tries before I had something that I felt equaled it. I ended up going separates. I wish I had a better answer. My 5 Es is still running in the home theater of the guy I sold it to. I just don't know. I do know a friend has one of the the newer Pioneer Elites SC 77 or 79 not sure which. I like it . as far as Emotiva Fusion... It would be a big step backwards in sound quality from the Es

If your question was which of the 2 receivers you listed..

F..k the Yamaha..... Stay with the 5 Es if you can live without HDMI

G.E.M

Edited by oldred

I don't really know how to answer that..... The 5 Es is one of the best receivers I have ever owned. I took me a couple of tries before I had something that I felt equaled it. I ended up going separates. I wish I had a better answer. My 5 Es is still running in the home theater of the guy I sold it to. I just don't know. I do know a friend has one of the the newer Pioneer Elites SC 77 or 79 not sure which. I like it . as far as Emotiva Fusion... It would be a big step backwards in sound quality from the Es

If your question was which of the 2 receivers you listed..

F..k the Yamaha..... Stay with the 5 Es if you can live without HDMI

G.E.M

Do you not like Emotiva amps in general? Or just that receiver?

Did not notice that the Sony was an ES receiver, so I'd pick the Sony over the Yamaha. However, from what I've seen and heard the Fusion would still trump the 5ES in sound quality and power. According to the manual in the ES, the unit is 100 RMS with two channels driven, and likely fairly lower all channels driven.

The ES is plenty for the speakers that the OP has.  I used a 100 watt Sony to driver VF 36 towers, VC 25 center, and VS 14 surrounds in a 5.1 system.  Sony does not get a lot praise in the audiophile community due to being mass produced but, they make a good product.  The OP speakers are similar to Quintets or the HD 1000 theater system.

I would hookup the Sony and start enjoying some movies and music. :)

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Largely, but there were some differences between the two models. I don't know what the Sherbourne sounded like, so I can't compare sound - but the Fusion put my RX-V2500 on blast, and even gave a DSP-A1 one of my friends owns a run for its money.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Thanks for the great responses!  Love this forum.  I'm going to stick with the Sony for now, until funds allow for a major upgrade.

That's the best option, truthfully. If you are satisfied with the sound you're getting then you should not change it. Satisfaction should supersede any technological advance. It's why I stuck with my 2500 for so long, until I really started to want to get involved with the HD formats - then it became an issue of finding a suitable replacement without breaking bank.

ES receivers are built well, so I have no doubt that you will have that unit for quite some time to come yet.