Promedias with Home theatre

Usedmedia

I'm buying a new TV and DVD player for my home theatre system and was interested in using my v.2-400's as my speakers. I also want my computer hooked up as well to play mp3's. Is this sort of setup possible, or practical? What kind of inputs will I need on my TV? How would I go about wiring this? Will I need to buy the CP-1? I was thinking about buying it anyway because of the constant scratchiness when I adjust the volume.

When it comes to home audio I'm fairly inexperienced so hopefully these questions don't sound too dumb.

The headphone jack on my TV? I'm a little confused...I didn't know TV's usually came with those kind of jacks. Are there other alternatives?

quote:

Originally posted by fawwaz:

Yes I do think you need the Cp1 ,once you have it you can use a 1/8"jack from the Cp1 to the headphone jack of your TV(or...) and enjoy the sound!!!!!!

Well the good thing is as you said : I am buying a new T.V right??

So if you havent bought it yet check with your seller for any output signal or aux jacks on the T.V if you have bought it tell what kind of jacks it has and check the manual .(Yes all new models have headphones).

Further if you are being a good quality T.V it might have a good audio system!!!

If you use the Aux in jack on the Cp-1, it will only use the front speakers. Thus, the CP-1 is not required. If you decided to use your TV, and used the headphone jack as fawwaz suggested, you'd end up with only the front speakers being used, unless you used a Y-splitter. Then again, if you're investing in a new TV and a dvd player, why don't you just invest in a real receiver and a decent 5.1 system?

-snap-

hmmm, yall are doing it a kinda hard way dont ya think? what I did was take my VCR(dvd player in yer case) and had the sound output going into the line in on my soundcard. so its all good. if yer comp is not in the same room yer still golden. you can use converter jacks from rca to 1/8" jacks and use Y splitters to sepperate left and right. quality won't be as good as through the sound card but it will work. then again you could also buy a seperate amp for yer system, you can get a fair one for around 60 bucks, then have alle the sound going to the amp then attatch yer speakers that way. there are tons of possibilitys, if you still don't like yer options then E-mail me and I'll see what I can figure out for ya.

Torinalth

------------------

if at first you don't succede, try again. if at second you don't succede, get an axe

That sounds good. So to make sure I have it straight, I would connect my DVD and TV normally using the A/V jacks. Then I would connect my DVD(line out?) to the line in on my sound card. BTW, this should be a temporary solution until I get enough money to buy a decent receiver and 5.1 speakers. Hopefully this should tide me over.

This brings up a couple of other questions. Would the setup described above give me surround sound, or just right and left separation? Also, I see TVs that have composite inputs. Are those the same as A/V inputs?

thanks

Usedmedia

quote:

Originally posted by Torinalth:

hmmm, yall are doing it a kinda hard way dont ya think? what I did was take my VCR(dvd player in yer case) and had the sound output going into the line in on my soundcard. so its all good. if yer comp is not in the same room yer still golden. you can use converter jacks from rca to 1/8" jacks and use Y splitters to sepperate left and right. quality won't be as good as through the sound card but it will work. then again you could also buy a seperate amp for yer system, you can get a fair one for around 60 bucks, then have alle the sound going to the amp then attatch yer speakers that way. there are tons of possibilitys, if you still don't like yer options then E-mail me and I'll see what I can figure out for ya.

Torinalth

Although connecting the head phone jack to the line in of the Cp1 will give sound ,but it would be of low quality!!!

The headphone works at high impedences.

Further, the only good source to connect the promedias to is the AUX out if you have one.

If you connect your setup to the computer(line in) it will give 4 channels , but it will not be surrond.

To get surrond there is a phase shift between the sounds given.

If you have the reciever or TV out with 2 AuX then you problem is solved else you have to connect to a circuit which seprates sound(Adapter)if you can't build it on your own.

Good luck!

Component video is better than s-video. It basically is 3 RCA cables transmitting one color per cable. This makes the picture quality much better, but you'll only find this kind of connection on really good tvs. S-video splitts the color into 2 and the regular RCA video out has all the color mixed in together.

I run all my crap off my PC to my S-video TV and S-Video VHS. I run really good RCA's that are "Y" split at the sound card to my TV and S-video to my VHS or TV (doesn't matter both have it)

Also if you have or get a reciever, you can plug in your output from the soundcard into the reciever and get a pro logic effect at least.

All it takes is a couple gold plated "Y" stereo splitters Mic to RCA plugs and I needed 40 feet of S-video cable (top of the line Pheonix Gold, cost a fortune but no signal loss!) and Boom your watching whatever you want on you tv with full Prologic surround!

------------------

Movies take us to a place we would like to be and away from a place we would like to forget.