Is component video much better than S-Video?

trvale

If you are good with a soldering gun, making your own cables is better. If you aren't, (or lazy like me) I still would recommend buying pre-made cables (RG6) with the F connectors already on them and just screwing on the F to RCA adapters. If you make your own cables, solder the heck out of the connections when you put a RCA connector on a RG6 cable. Also it is wise to label the 3 cables at both ends (R G B) while you are at it, we wouldn't want everyones face to be blue Smile.gif A good connection is everything.

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

Justin - I WAS referring to an RCA plug that you connect directly to the coax cable, instead of connecting an F connector to the cable...

Doug

LoL! I love how the internet can not express tone Smile.gif I am agreeing with you LoL. I was just asking if that procedure, RG-6 with the RCA ends, would be a better quality cable than the radio shack ones i have now.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Well, Justin, that is a good question. The RG6 cables are 75ohm cables, but I don't know if they will produce a better picture than what you have now. You could use the "save by spending" method I use and go get you some RG6 cables and connectors and see, if it doesn't, take 'em back. :D

OK - This thread made me do a lot of research and I learned a lot in the last 48 hours or so....

I was going to change my system to use component cables but decided not to at this time. Here is why...

DVD progressive output is only 480p, My projector in 16:9 mode is 576p. In 16:9 mode, my projector gets my signal (which is 480i over my svideo) converts the input signals to 576p. To make this work slick, I need to find a way to get the input better than 576p.

External processors is out. From what I have seen in the short time I have been looking is they are too costly for what you get.

What I am doing now is researching HDPC components. Finding video cards that output 720p from DVD is no problem, what I am having problems finding are sound cards that can output DTS without having an external converter. All I want to do is output DTS, via COAX to my Lexicon. Once I find that, I can make my plans.

I think this project will wait till winter.

JM

htpc is also something i'm looking into after experiencing the NIGHT and DAY difference a video processor made w/a dlp projector.

go to:avsforum.com and check out the video processor and htpc sections.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

AVMan and JM....very timely post. I just setup a first pass at a HTPC not 3 days ago. I too have been very happy with the s-video quality, but you KNOW how it is....always looking to tweek it up a notch or two. Plus, my projector, an Infocus LP350, does not have component inputs. It DOES however have the DVI input which I've always wanted to explore.

I found an ATI Radeon All in Wonder 7500 video card for next to nothing. Having DVI out, I thought 'a-ha, time to try the HTPC thing'. In short, I'm going from my existing Panasonic DVD-Audio (RA-60) player into the s-video input of the ATI card, through the PC and back out the DVI output of the ATI card into the DVI input of the projector. I believe that in this config, I am using the analog portion of the DVI interface rather than the all digital portion that would probably be used if I have a DVD (ROM?) player on the PC I'm using. With this in mind, questions of audio are a non-issue as I'm using the same audio setup as always, just routing the video through the PC. However, when/if I get a PC DVD, the ATI card has a coax AES digital output. What is not clear in the manuals is whether it will pass DTS through as well as the DD5.1 it states, and it certainly will not do DVD-Audio.

So I've watched for 2 nights now. The only experiment I've been able to do so far is with the first disk of 'The Sopranos, 3rd season', out this week on DVD. I watched the first 2 episodes 'standard', that being s-video to projector, and the next 2 episodes through the HTPC. I have a cheap Rat Shack s-video switcher, so I'm able to do a (semi) push button comparison. So far, near as I can tell, there are positives and negatives.

First the positives....the picture appears to be clearer and sharper. Everything is vivid as if illuminated by an inner light. Dimly lit scenes now have exceptional detail, a function of the ability to be able to fine tune 'gamma' I would suspect. The motion is as fluid as it is with the straight in s-video, no 'herky-jerky' PC type motion whatsoever, so that's a wash. Another very positive element is the ability to adjust everything and anything. Almost adjustment overload.

The only negative I can see is that some diagonals have a greater 'sawtooth' effect. This does not appear to be the result of a lessened resolution as if anything, the resolution looks to be greater than the straight s-video in. I believe that the answer to this lies in one of the sync-ing adjustments or perhaps one of the dithering/3d rendering-type adjustments. Further playing around this weekend is required to provide you a decisive review, but suffice to say that the preliminary results are biased towards the positive.

------------------

Ed

thanks for the reply. there are 'de-interlacers' and scalers, etc...the faroujda dcdi chip is an important part of this video processor i have set-up w/the dlp nec projector. go to:www.immersiveinc.com

the guy who i spoke to at that site was very helpful, and is licensed by faroujda to use their chip in the htpc card he offers. he said that the video output of a htpc can be set to any resolution you want.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

AV

Been seeing your posts on the avsforum about the various projectors / processors you have been playing with. Must be nice.

Edwarde

I plan to run an internal DVD-rom player. I have found 2 cards that will output DTS and DD via COAX. They are the maudio card and the Card Deluxe. Look in the 2 channel audio section for the thread started by Dave Mallet.

I plan to start my project in the next few months, we should compare notes from time to time.

JM

As a longtime S-Video user, I can vouch for the quality that separating the video signal into two parts can make in preserving color quality. As a user of progressive scanned DVD's with a component link to the pre-amp, amp and 65" Mitsu RPHD TV... I can vouch for the improvement that breaking the signal down further to its three chromatic components can make for High Definition viewing.

The important realization is that component cabling keep the original input video in a "pure" chromatic state... the issues of resolution of the resultant pixel shades as combined from the three component sources is a separate issue. Thus, color purity is the real issue between S-Video and Component hook ups... and the nod clearly goes to Component! Indeed, properly set up A/B comparisons show an improvement that some people think is equivalent to the jump from composite to S-Video.

The problem seems to be that we are still in an area of transition with "component" being the new kid on the block... and S-Video being far longer in the tooth. Granted, some of the more dramatic examples are on larger screens (48" and above), but 480p with component cabling protecting color purity is better, IMHO, than 560p with the lower tech S-Video on the job... but, perhaps, that's just my art photographer's eye exercising its decades of color prejudice.

How big the pixels are and whether they are interlaced or progressive are essentially a separate issue from how color quality from the source is maintained. It takes both high resolution and high color quality retention to make the most of today's HT experience... well along with some Klipsch ear candy of course!

But, realistically friends, we are all fortunate to have either of these great variations to make our HT experience as enjoyable as they are. But, frankly, when I am looking at the U.S. Open Tennis matches on my wall hung 17" flatscreen (LCD, S-Video) in the motorhome... I do wish I could be instantly transported to my oversize leather LazyBoy in front of that component fed 65" HDTV.

cwm36.gif

-HornED

Component video is just clearer that s video but it is also allittle brighter which makes it more clear and a better picture to me. I just bought a acoustic reseach cable at Sears and my picture on my 3 line digital comb filter tv is as clear as can be.

------------------

Back for another, year!