Is component video much better than S-Video?

trvale

I just purchased a new DVD player with component video connectors. Will I notice a difference in picture quality if I use component video over S-video? I also was wondering if I can just use 3 composite video cables just to test if it is worth spending a hundred dollars on component video cables.

You'll get a cleaner video picture with the component video angle. The colors will look less "snowy" and teh edges will be sharper. In order of quality of cables (and this assuming that you would use the same brand and model/series of cable) is RG cable (coaxial), composite RCA cable, S-video, Tos link (light) and then composite.

Hope this helps! Good luck,

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

You should see a difference.

The kinds of video connections, in order of quality of image you can expect from best to worst are: RGB, component, s-video and composite. RGB is not an option in most consumer equipment. They all designed for 75 ohm cables, 5 for RGB, 3 for component, 2 for s-video and 1 for composite.

Toslink is not for video. It is for digital audio.

For $100 you should be able to get a good custom made 40 or 50 foot component cable. More than that and you are paying for unncecssary features or marketing hype. All you need is 3 good 75 ohm coaxial cables with appropriate connectors.

You can use any 75 ohm coax cables you want to try it out as long they have the correct connectors and are the same length. For really short runs, you may even be able to get away with cables which aren't true 75 ohm cables.

I hate to toss a wrench into things, but in THEORY component will give a better picture. HOWEVER, this is all depends on how the manufacturer implimentated the component signal. If the manufacture has spent little time and effort and money then it is entirely possible that one of the input sources could be better. I highly recomend either testing the TV at home or bring the DVD player to the store and test it.

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

GENERALLY component will be the best,by far. HOWEVER,i found w/my projector at home, s looks better than component. i haven't tried experimenting w/different sources/cables(my nxg's were REAL cheap)and they are all 33ft. long. you definitely SHOULD look Eyes.gif at component for your application.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Av and Justin

I am fairly new to HT, and curious to your last reply's. So you can't run 1080i over svideo?? If not can you please tell me what the max is over Svid?

My projector is capable of 1080i, but I am running a 35' Svideo from my Lexicon to the projector. The picture looks great using Svideo, but you know this game, if there is something else to try, Im willing....

JM

go to radio shack and buy the Gold Series audio cable... hal fthe price of the video cable and is the very same thing. that is what i use and 1080i is superb! the best you can get through S-Video cable is 480i or 720i i think, but no progressive scanning, and no 1080i HDTV. I noticed a HUGE improvement in picture quality when I went from S-Video to Component, and on the other dvd player from S-Video to Component with progressive scanning.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder/Player with component outs and a long run. I used 50' 75ohm, solid copper, deoxgenated coax cables with gold ends, went to Radio Shack and bought gold F to RCA connectors and attached them to each end. It works great. I think you get a better picture depth/accuracy with the component outs. It is connected to a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV that does 480p doubled. All of the cables and connectors were less than 100 bucks. Hope that helps.

we have successfully used rg-6 coax(rg-59 should also work)w/'f' to rca adapters to make component video cables over a 50'length!

i have CHEAP nxg 10 meter (33ft.)s-vid,component vid and composite vid cables at home. i used 3 composite vid cables for component. s,however,looked better than component. i will be hooking up the component cables shortly to a sony vpl12ht projector soon. will follow-up.

s-video WILL NOT support either hd, or progressive video, HOWEVER it can provide a good signal to a video processor.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

avman. I have 500 feet of RG6 cable in my bedroom closet (where else would you put it haha). i was going to do exactly what you did but was not sure if it would work. sounds lke it works better than regular radio shack gold cables you think? that sentenced would murder my english teacher hehe.

would i benefit from just buying the rca ends instead of the F-Type and make some new component cables and some stereo rca cables from the cable box to my GTXP, and also... is it possible to connect a mini mono plug to one end of the cable and an rca to the other? this would be a huge benefit for me to connect from the computer to the digital decoder, and for other ppl with that problem.

thanks!

(sorry for barging in Smile.gif)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

Email Me

Justin - Using the RCA connectors directly on the RG-6 will save having to buy the F to RCA adaptors plus will eliminate an additional "connection" in the path. If you haven't seen them anywhere locally (and I never found any in town) you can order them from www.partsexpress.com. They are listed as RG-59 RCA or RG-6 RCA connectors, I believe.

DD

------------------

My System

OK - Im at that confused state right before it all makes sence. Im was getting lost between the term component and composite in looking at my components??

I think I have it can one of you please clerify?

Composite is the single RCA jack. Component is a 3 RCA jack output. Am I right????

In my case, my projector has a proprietary component input, something like a real wide 15 pin VGA. They supply a 3 RCA adapter to this proprietary plug. Since My Lexicon MC-1 does not have the component output, only composite and SVid, I need to get a DVD player with composite out, and connect directly to the component input on my projector, preferabley using the RG-6 (I have a bunch left over as well) with RCA jacks as suggested here.

Do I have this right??

JM

yes you are right

think of it like this

You are composing every color into one cord with composite.

You are useing each component of the RGB color scale seperate into three component cables.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

Email Me

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 08-27-2002 at 05:12 PM

Sorry, you said you needed to get a DVD player with composite out. Guess what you mean to say was component out. Those names are sure a pain, aren't they?

Yep, the composite output will have a single RCA connector and is likely labelled just video out. The jack may be color coded yellow. Component will have 3 RCA connectors and is usually labelled component. The jacks may be color code red, green and blue.

RG-6 will work just fine.