War and Peace

Jim Naseum

The six part mini series is running on a couple tv networks currently. It's really very good. Although much of the interior passion and mental life of the book is necessarily impossible to put in a short series, it still manages to hew very close to the storyline of the "greatest novel ever written."

I can't say the acting is up to say, "Downtown Abbey," but it's not too far behind.

Check it out.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I started reading it.  I have to say Tolstoy sucks compared to Dostoevsky.  Newsflash.  Moby Dick is better.

What? Heresy! 

There is no one who has ever equaled Tolstoy for the depth of his human understanding. Because, not only is there W&P on his resume, but there is also, "Anna Karenina", which I thought was actually better, deeper if not wider, than W&P, although most reverse that order. Either way, no one has ever written two masterpieces of that scale. And, I am a huge fan of Dostoevsky. I have also raved for ever about, "Moby Dick," and have insisted my friends read it forever now. 

Anyone I know who has questions about life, I always tell them to read, "Brothers Karamazov."

• Moderators

The six part mini series is running on a couple tv networks currently. It's really very good. Although much of the interior passion and mental life of the book is necessarily impossible to put in a short series, it still manages to hew very close to the storyline of the "greatest novel ever written."

I can't say the acting is up to say, "Downtown Abbey," but it's not too far behind.

Check it out.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Do you recalk the networks? I hope it is a network I get on my cable and you can on demand so I can catch up.

Almost 40 years since I read it.

Would line to take the easy route this time.

Besides the incessant social claptrap reminiscent of English soap operas, there is also a writing style which seems designed to incite a desire to inflict a Stephen King misery effect.  Other than that, no problem. 

Yes, the setting is the aristocracy. But that is simply a context for the characters to play out the enormous range and subtlety of human emotion and behavior. What greater anti-war sentiment do you find in literature? What greater love story do you know of that surpasses "Anna Karenina?" 

As to linguistic style, there is of course always the problem of translating Russian. Some are much better than others. I recently read the Pevear translation and it is far better than what I read 20 years back. You almost forget that the native language is not English.