Shure V-15III Cartridge with Jico SAS VN35E Stylus

Jim

So I got my Jico SAS VN35E stylus in and just hooked it up to the Shure V15III on my Dual 701. Gonna have to play a few records to break it in and then compare to my Stanton 881S with D81S,Stanton 681 EEE with Jico D6800 Shibata, Ortofon OM40, and Ortofon VMS 30E MKII.

Anyone else have the SAS, and approximately how long did it take to break in fully?

The one thing I got lucky with, was the cartridge is the V-III LM model, and it came already set up in the Dual headshell for the 701. So it is already set up properly,no protractor needed.I just made sure it was set with the gram scale. From what I understand, they did this version specifically for Dual.

post-59264-0-62680000-1454956792_thumb.j  post-59264-0-69320000-1454956809_thumb.j

• Like 2

I have a Shure V15 1V model  that needs a needle so I am curious on your findings.

So far it sounds pretty nice, of course it still needs some time before it really opens up, but so far I like it.

If you need a new needle, I have the original Super Track Plus you could have if it fits. Let me know and I can send it to you.

I've never known that a cartridge or needle needs any break it.  Its just a stick attacked to magnetic or coils that wiggle back and forth.   Now the needles can wear down and eventually sound harsh.  

Capacitors don't need break in either.  I've looked at the waveform of a new needle vs that needle after many plays and its the same. 

I think you just get use to the new sound after so many plays.  

• 7 years later...
On 2/8/2016 at 6:42 PM, Jim said:

So I got my Jico SAS VN35E stylus in and just hooked it up to the Shure V15III on my Dual 701. Gonna have to play a few records to break it in and then compare to my Stanton 881S with D81S,Stanton 681 EEE with Jico D6800 Shibata, Ortofon OM40, and Ortofon VMS 30E MKII.

Anyone else have the SAS, and approximately how long did it take to break in fully?

The one thing I got lucky with, was the cartridge is the V-III LM model, and it came already set up in the Dual headshell for the 701. So it is already set up properly,no protractor needed.I just made sure it was set with the gram scale. From what I understand, they did this version specifically for Dual.

post-59264-0-62680000-1454956792_thumb.j  post-59264-0-69320000-1454956809_thumb.j

Hello Jim, it has been a long time, but perhaps you can still recall. I have the same Dual 701, same Shure V-15 III and replacing my wasted original VN35E (will perhaps re-tip) with a Jico VN35E SAS/B. Finding it a bit dryer/thinner, and want to also know how long it will take to break-in (rule of thumb is 20-30 hours for the “suspension” to loosen up). Did it work? Did it sound any better?

Thanks, Nuno

• 2 weeks later...

I guess for the sake of whoever reads this, I got my own conclusion within a week.  At close inspection, it seemed to me that the stylus was too close to the plastic body of the cartridge, hence potentially restricting its movement - bingo. My new Jico SAS/B that sounded dryer/thinner, came to life as I pulled the cantilever a tiny bit out leaving the necessary room. I find this new SAS/B (got it from Thakker) slightly better than my original Shure VN35E (cracked cantilever when rotating plastic protection down). My amp/preamp and speakers are quite transparent, so I can capitalize on the improved refined detail. Glad I got it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nuno CC said:

I guess for the sake of whoever reads this, I got my own conclusion within a week.  At close inspection, it seemed to me that the stylus was too close to the plastic body of the cartridge, hence potentially restricting its movement - bingo. My new Jico SAS/B that sounded dryer/thinner, came to life as I pulled the cantilever a tiny bit out leaving the necessary room. I find this new SAS/B (got it from Thakker) slightly better than my original Shure VN35E (cracked cantilever when rotating plastic protection down). My amp/preamp and speakers are quite transparent, so I can capitalize on the improved refined detail. Glad I got it.

The person you were expecting a reply from hasn’t been on the forum since December 2020.

I had a Dual 1229 with a Shure V15 type 3 and replaced the needle with the Jico SAS. Sounded great within the first few albums. I loved that turntable setup but eventually bought a MOFI Fender turntable with better wiring and longer tonearm and it sounds cleaner than the 1229 ever did.

• Like 1