Lens Memory Function

Boxoffice Buff

• Moderators

I have the AE8000u but am unfamilar with curved screens.  How wide is the border of the screen?  2.35:1 vs 2.31:1 isn't very much difference.  I would think if anything extended past the screen, it would get absorbed by the border.

Edited by Youthman

• Moderators

2nd paragraph of that article suggests...

Curved screens are popular in home theatres using an anamorphic lens combined with a 2:35:1 or 2.40:1 aspect ratio screen. The curve of the screen reverses the inevitable small amount of pincushion distortion caused by the anamorphic lens. Curved screens can be used without an anamorphic lens to good effect, especially if the projector throw distance is long enough to avoid barrel distortion (the opposite of pincushion) that can be more obvious at short-ish throw distances.

• Like 1

Anyone using Panasonic PT AE8000U projector with a wide screen (2.31:1) Curved Screen?

Do you think this setup will work (without the anamorphic lens)?

I was considering a curved wide screen but eventually determined that flat would be better for my intended use.  From what I read, the benefits of a curved screen are there if you have a narrow seating arrangment (visual "sweet spot").  If you plan to have multiple seating and have them spread out a bit, then a curved screen can actually be detrimental (depending on room and seating geometry).

Curved screens are popular in home theatres using an anamorphic lens combined with a 2:35:1 or 2.40:1 aspect ratio screen. The curve of the screen reverses the inevitable small amount of pincushion distortion caused by the anamorphic lens. Curved screens can be used without an anamorphic lens to good effect, especially if the projector throw distance is long enough to avoid barrel distortion (the opposite of pincushion) that can be more obvious at short-ish throw distances.

Boxoffice Buff,

• With Blu-ray, you don't need an anamorphic lens on your projector, because the image is still wire sharp (on a 130" wide screen from 12.5 feet) when you merely zoom until a 2.35 (or near it):1 image fills a 2.35:1 screen (which I strongly recommend).  At least one article says that an anamorphic lens can actually reduce resolution a bit.
  • If you do the above, you don't need to consider pincushion distortion.
  • As for curved screens, they can increase the feeling of engulfment in the image (a good thing), especially if the screen is quite large.  As JMON says, though, you should really sit pretty much directly in front of them.  That was also true of screens in commercial theaters showing Todd-AO or Cinerama, and less so with CinemaScope and Panavision, because they used a less extreme curve. 
  • We settled on a 130" wide (not diagonal) 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent flat screen by Seymour and an older (c.2013) Panasonic projector, and couldn't be happier.  We have presets for 1.85:1, 2.20:1 (Todd-AO and most 70mm aspect ratios), 2.35/2.39:1 (CinemaScope, Panavision 35mm, and many Super 35 ratios) and, thanks to the Smilebox option (disc 2), on the Blu-ray of How The West Was Won, even Cinerama (on the Smile box Blu-ray, that's 2.89:1, and since there is a simulated curve, to get the top side "points" of the image onscreen, the picture cannot fill the 2.35:1 from side to side, but it's still quite immersive, with an incredible amount of non-stereoscopic depth, thanks to the ultra wide angle -- 146 degrees -- Cinerama camera ... do expect to have to re-eq the sound with this movie, however).  The front element of the projector lens is about 23 feet away from the screen.
Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

Boxoffice Buff,

• With Blu-ray, you don't need an anamorphic lens on your projector, because the image is still wire sharp (on a 130" wide screen from 12.5 feet) when you merely zoom until a 2.35 (or near it):1 image fills a 2.35:1 screen (which I strongly recommend).  At least one article says that an anamorphic lens can actually reduce resolution a bit.
  • As for curved screens, they can increase the feeling of engulfment in the image (a good thing), especially if the screen is quite large.  As JMON says, though, you should really sit pretty much directly in front of them.  That was also true of screens in commercial theaters showing Todd-AO or Cinerama, and less so with CinemaScope and Panavision, because they used a less extreme curve. 
  • We settled on a 130" wide (not diagonal) 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent flat screen by Seymour and an older (c.2013) Panasonic projector, and couldn't be happier.  We have presets for 1.85:1, 2.20:1 (Todd-AO and most 70mm aspect ratios), 2.35/2.39:1 (CinemaScope, Panavision 35mm, and many Super 35 ratios) and, thanks to the Smilebox option (disc 2), on the Blu-ray of How The West Was Won, even Cinerama (on the Smile box Blu-ray, that's 2.89:1, and since there is a simulated curve, to get the top side "points" of the image onscreen, the picture cannot fill the 2.35:1 from side to side, but it's still quite immersive, with an incredible amount of non-stereoscopic depth, thanks to the ultra wide angle -- 146 degrees -- Cinerama camera ... do expect to have to re-eq the sound with this movie, however).  The front element of the projector lens is about 23 feet away from the screen.

Thank you Garyrc for your insightful commentary.

Boxoffice Buff,

I was quite happy with my AE8000 and zooming until I purchased the Panamorph UH-480 lens. The picture is sharper and brighter than it was before getting the lens...now this doesn't come without problems though either as to really have the best image with the lens you need to have a curved screen (which I might go to this next winter). One issue we had with zooming was it was impossible to zoom in enough to get the full 195" diagonal scope screen to be filled completely when watching a 2.35:1 movie. With the anamorphic lens i was able to un-zoom most of it (hence what I believe is the reason for more brightness is less zoom).

Edited by ellisr63

Boxoffice Buff,

I was quite happy with my AE8000 and zooming until I purchased the Panamorph UH-480 lens. The picture is sharper and brighter than it was before getting the lens...now this doesn't come without problems though either as to really have the best image with the lens you need to have a curved screen (which I might go to this next winter). One issue we had with zooming was it was impossible to zoom in enough to get the full 195" diagonal scope screen to be filled completely when watching a 2.35:1 movie. With the anamorphic lens i was able to un-zoom most of it (hence what I believe is the reason for more brightness is less zoom).

ellisr63,

The Panamorph lens is nice to have but will probably cost me as much as or more than the projector. My scope screen is 115" so is not as wide as yours. But your point is well taken.

Edited by Boxoffice Buff

Boxoffice Buff,

ellisr63,

The Panamorph lens is nice to have but will probably cost me as much as or more than the projector. My scope screen is 115" so is not as wide as yours. But your point is well taken.

I paid $900 for my "B" stock one.