Anyone used Scott 399 receiver with La Scala/Klipschorn?

Welborne

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! A few things...the phono section has a low and a high input you will never use the high input. In the sixties hi and low meant something completely different than it does today. Basically using a low input you can use any cartridge 2 mV or higher with 4.5 mV being the sweet spot.

When you say all original restored those two things make no sense to me it could just be a language barrier. But restored should not be original and you should not run an original 50 + year old piece of gear. You'd be asking for serious trouble. I think it would be prudent if you pop the bottom cover off and take some close up shots so I can see just what's been done to it. Better safe than sorry!

Nice score Craig

One of the dials has some crack on it which I wish was not there being a perfectionist but it cant be seen from a distance. The hole on the chassis above the 5ar4 is smaller than the base of a metal base Philips/Mullard 5ar4 which I happen to have so I could not push this in, too bad.

And the input sockets pair on the back have the channel 1&2 being too close for most of the rca interconnect to plug in. Have to be a bit brutal at times.

Make sense. Here they are.

Sorry to be the delivery boy of bad news..

That looks 100% unrestored original condition and absolutely not safe to run on a regular basis. It should be brought slowly on a Variac every time until it has been properly and completely restored.

Craig

Welborne,

As far as I’m concerned, Craig is the expert regarding electronic restoration.

Regarding inexpensive RCA cables that will fit Scott’s narrowly spaced input connectors, I suggest that you consider these:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI89I04?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00   

Again, congrats on acquiring a great vintage receiver!

Edited by robert_kc

That unit is beautiful and looks original or close to it.  A perfect candidate to burn up if not restored by a competent technician.  I would not even plug that unit in until it is restored properly.  Just asking for trouble.

Can I ask some dumb questions?  What is the electricity in Hong Kong (110 or 220?  60hz or 50hz?).  Another..........Did HH Scott make units for regional power of various types?  Basically..........how are you powering that unit?

Thanks. Its useful information.

The previous owner whom I bought this from is a collector of Scott stuff and he has been using this unit regularly before he found a mint 340. He powers it up without variac for years I believe. But I do understand what Craig means.

One dump question: the rectifier 5ar4 is supposed to be a slow rise indirectly heated rectifier (compared to directly heated one say 5r4gy...) that also provides some protection against sudden high voltage rush when power on? From my experience the 5ar4 takes about 10 seconds or more to rise to the operating voltage..

Oh it's an imported/ebayed 110v unit and we use these on a step down from 220v.

Yes the 5AR4 is a slow start rectifier but 30 seconds is not what I'm talking about. More like an hour or so. And that would only apply if it was brought up really slow the first time after it sat for years unused like over a 24-hour period of slow start.

But regardless these pieces need and deserve full 100% restoration, running them in that condition is just plain asking for trouble slow vatiac start up or not. Those 50 year old coupling caps, power supply filter cans and selenium rectifier are going to fail it's just a matter of when not if. The big problem is when they go they can take something much more expensive and hard to get with it. I'd suggest searching out a competent technician in Honk Kong to properly restore the receive. Feel free to drop me an email for guidance if tech you find needs it. That is too nice a piece to see get burned up!