DIY Speaker Placement and Screen Size

bop29291

Hello, first time post here and thought I'd put my choice to the forum for some feedback. I've been around and interested in car audio and home theater since my first pro-logic set up in 1993. Unfortunately my use of the equipment has not turned me into a true audiophile or an electrical engineer so keep that in mind when offering suggestions. I built this house new in 08 and tried to designate the bonus room above the garage as a dedicated theater room but did not prewire. At the time I had an Infocus X2 that worked well but was limited, but this Christmas I upgraded the all of my equipment. Here is what I have:

BenQ HT1075

Blackout Cloth (No frame)

Onkyo TX-NR636

Sony BDP-S6500

RF-83 Front

SKH-410 Dolby Atmos (for upper front )

RC-64 Center

RF-83 Rear

Kenwood SW200 Sub (old)

Here's where I need recommendations:

Need to decide on screen size and build fixed frame.

Have purchased all wall plates and banana plugs for speakers but need suggestions for best place to locate them.

New projector had to be moved forward (about 5 feet) from X2 location so now I need to cover the power cord back to ceiling outlet. In-attic isn't a realistic option.

Move all equipment to the rear of the room to the built-in equipment rack and set up proper IR capability.

Some basic sound treatment.

Here are some pics. Usually not this messy, but all the boxes are from new stuff and all wires are are just for testing.

Room size:

21' 5"L x 14' 8"W (bar in left rear corner eats into room length by 4 feet so 17' 5" unobstructed floor measurement)

5' 4" Height of knee wall

5' Distance from top of knee wall to ceiling. (Slope)

5' 10" Width of flat ceiling.

7' 10" Center ceiling height

9791619aae558c5db67f3b0640da06cd.jpg

ec8a140fe0dfd9839955b409041bbba3.jpg

86e7b2041aafa45d4505bede46305b6a.jpg

4d319c0ae6dd64e488704b57eae2ddc7.jpg

Thanks for any input[emoji3]

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there.

If you can swing it I would 100% go with a Acoustically Transparent screen. I just converted mine over to AT a few weeks ago (my thread is a few down from this one) and It is IMO the best thing I could have done for a theater like experience. And it was super cheap to do, would be even more so if your in the US 

I also went with matching LCR which was a huge improvement. Just another option before you really start building.

• Like 2

Thanks for your welcoming reply.

Distance from main seating is about 13-15 feet. I'm trying to keep the room usable for more than just fixed seating.

Projector is mounted at about 12 feet.

Screen size is where I'm really torn. It may sound funny but it drives me crazy that previews are not show in the same format as the movie, so I'm confused as how to set it up. If I build a 16:9 and adjust the projector to fill it, the previews with food over the border no?

Thanks for your welcoming reply.

Distance from main seating is about 13-15 feet. I'm trying to keep the room usable for more than just fixed seating.

Projector is mounted at about 12 feet.

Screen size is where I'm really torn. It may sound funny but it drives me crazy that previews are not show in the same format as the movie, so I'm confused as how to set it up. If I build a 16:9 and adjust the projector to fill it, the previews with food over the border no?

That's the issue with movies and HD TV there is not set format, there are 3 main ones (and few others) 16.9 and 2.35. If all you do is watch movies 2.35 would be a good way to go but you will get black bars on the sides when you watch a 16.9 movie. Go the other way and you get black bars top and bottom. You just need to pick which bothers you less, I went 16.9

• Like 1

ClintonH- I really don't want to loose the space that would require. Since I am a novice, I'm impressed with what I have, I'm just wanting to make sure it's set up the best it can be.

I get that, your not actually loosing any space since your speakers are taking up the space reguardless. You will loose about 1.5" more depth than you have now, My screen is exaclty that distance from the front baffle of my speakers. Like I say just throwing it out there, if your in the US it would only cost you around $70 is for the fabric.

Realistically speaking, you don't have a lot of choice here on the screen, basically if you put a frame around what's already up there, you're maxing out your space.  It's probably more a question of what will actually fit.  

• Like 1

Given the shape of that wall, you'd probably get more coverage with a 2.35 ratio screen.  You'll most likely be limited by the height, especially when you consider the placement of your center.

I created a quick drawing showing how a 120" 16:9 ratio screen would fit.  The screen border width is based on dimensions for an Elite brand screen from the Amazon page.  I take no responsibility for the accuracy of these dimensions.  

post-56797-0-63500000-1456341804_thumb.j

• Like 2

Wow Fuzzy thanks! Yes I'm up here now taking some measurements. Indeed height, due to the barn shape is my limiting factor. I currently have the center sitting on a cheap table putting the top edge of the center cabinet at 28" from floor. Per your drawing my center would be 6" into the screen. Given the height of the RF-83's I can't really see dropping it any lower with out sacrificing front stage. Maybe I should consider wall mounting it above the screen at an angle to make better use of the "dead" space? That would be a project in itself, that thing is a beast. Would it help if I took some additional measurements to get this nailed down?. I don't "need" 120" as a matter of fact while watching a 2:35 movie and projector set to wide I get a 44x104 which is about 113" diagonal image. That seems perfect to me viewing at about 14 feet. Here's a pic.

If you can swing it I would 100% go with a Acoustically Transparent screen. I just converted mine over to AT a few weeks ago (my thread is a few down from this one) and It is IMO the best thing I could have done for a theater like experience. And it was super cheap to do, would be even more so if your in the US

I also went with matching LCR which was a huge improvement. Just another option before you really start building.

Just read your thread and yes that does look appealing. My only concern might be how close together the LR would be if I tried to squeeze them into the screen width. I guess I could just build an entire front wall that is AT and leave them about where they are. The other part I need help with is best placement of LR (distance from from front/side wall etc) Thanks again for sharing.

Edit: Found this pic on AVS. Guy built a floating screen. I could just hide the center?

8a27886ff389fde9f301626b0d561993.jpg

Edited by bop29291

Just read your thread and yes that does look appealing. My only concern might be how close together the LR would be if I tried to squeeze them into the screen width. I guess I could just build an entire front wall that is AT and leave them about where they are. The other part I need help with is best placement of LR (distance from from front/side wall etc) Thanks again for sharing.

Edit: Found this pic on AVS. Guy built a floating screen. I could just hide the center?

8a27886ff389fde9f301626b0d561993.jpg

That's basically what my screen is behind, it just floats infront of the speakers. And yes you can still put your L&R on the outside of the screen if you want no need to cover them if you think they would be too close. Just for reference my screen is 96" X 54" and sits out 12.5" from the wall. An my mains are 93" from outside edge to outside edge behind the screen with a small amount of toe in, I feel they are better placed then when I had them on the outside of my screen beforehand. IMO being too close to the corners make them muddy.

I could just hide the center?

Yes, but, if you're going to go through the trouble of doing this, you need to plan on ditching the center you have and getting a matching tower to use as the center. At least allow for enough room even if you don't do it immediately.

I like the center real well. Is there any reason you suggest replacing it? It was marketed with the 83's?

Matching LCR are far better for sound seamless across the front, being they are all matching and all vertical. I just went this way and it's a huge difference in sound stage.

• Like 2

Here's where I need recommendations:

1. Need to decide on screen size and build fixed frame.

2. Have purchased all wall plates and banana plugs for speakers but need suggestions for best place to locate them.

3. New projector had to be moved forward (about 5 feet) from X2 location so now I need to cover the power cord back to ceiling outlet. In-attic isn't a realistic option.

4. Move all equipment to the rear of the room to the built-in equipment rack and set up proper IR capability.

5. Some basic sound treatment.

1. Big as you can fit. That looks like about 120" you have there. I use 120" 16:9 and have no issues.

2. The front placement you have looks fine to me. Of course the center will need dropped out of the picture or replaced with a matching center behind an AP screen.   :)  Oh and by the way, those Atmos speakers are supposed to reflect off the ceiling. With that angle above the side walls, I think you might be getting some wonky reflections. They are supposed to reflect off a ceiling and back down to the listening positions. You may end up using separate ceiling speakers for the Atmos heights.

3. Just use wiremold. It will tidy up nicely. I am assuming the HDMI and the power cord will fit in it. You should check that first. You may need two wiremolds running parallel. You could also make a long wooden box to act as a wire duct and run it from the old position to the new. You mentioned that the projector is 5' closer. You need to make absolutely sure you can fill a 120" screen from the new position and then some.

4. I am thinking you may want wifi remote. That way you don't have to point the IR remote behind you when you need to use it. There are lots coming on the market. iRule IOS looks promising. You use an ap to talk to the box, and the box sends the IR to the devices. I've used similar products from Phillips which are nice because you can hide components.

5. It's too early for that. Once you get things set up, room treatments can be placed here and there. What you will have trouble with is bass in that room. I have a room like it and there have been others that have come here with rooms like that too. For some reason subwoofers aren't as effective. It's the slope above the walls. 

Edited by mustang guy

Fuzzy has a good point about the aspect ratio. With a wider less tall screen, you will get more screen on that odd shaped back wall. When watching 16:9, you will see black bars on the sides. 

I agree on the front 3 being the same is the best of the best. If you can't do it, then you can't. The world is full of compromises.

I am interested in how you tackle the subs. Yes, I said subs. You will need 2 at least if history doesn't lie.

edit: You don't have to put the left and right speakers behind the screen. I like them farther apart and toed in like they are. If you get side wall reflections, then you can put some sound treatments.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1