Lets talk phase plugs and drivers.

The Dude

"why don't you take the extender nose cup off and run them as 1.4 inch exit drivers rather than 2" exit drivers? Better top end extension that way."

You could, but the bolt circle  is non-standard.

So they wouldn't bolt up to an EV HR9040

post-27403-0-45180000-1457490824_thumb.j

If you wanted I am sure there are ways around the bolt pattern Issue but for me it's not a problem since I am using paper K-Tubes. I may make a set of K-Tubes out of plastic and machine a mounting plate to fit bolt holes on the driver. No reason you can't pull your extender cups off and experiment with some paper tubes. They are easy to make in no time and cost nothing in material. People will buy unheard horns for hundreds of dollars or more (plus shipping) but they won't roll a piece of paper up and tape it onto their driver.  What's with that?

• Like 1

design as a 1/4 wave tube. I generally set the 1/4 wave resonance at the lowest impedance peak of a compression driver which is usually the free air resonance of the driver. I also include the expansion of the comp driver from the exit of the phase plug to the exit of the driver. So that length is included as part of the total 1/4 wave length. Making the tube any longer serves no purpose that I can see. Have fun. (I much prefer the double cutaway version)

post-44375-0-00980000-1457553783_thumb.j

"So they wouldn't bolt up to an EV HR9040"

They could, with an adaptor plate you would have to make out of 1/8" aluminum.

I'm assuming we are still talking about removing the snout from the EV dh1a to make it a 1 1/4" driver,  Then making a plate to mount it to the horn.   I actually have some 1/8" aluminum laying around.  I would just need a drill press to drill everything accurately.

• Like 1

Duder, I'm very interested in your progress. I actually have a pair of HR9040 and a set of DH1A too. My 9040s came with 1" adapters already installed with EV 1824M, but I was thinking about trying the DH1A on the horns with adapters removed. Like you, I didn't realize the drivers wouldn't fit directly without an adapter. It's news to me. If you happen to make some extra adapters, I'd definitely be interested. Regardless, let us know how that project progresses!

"I'm assuming we are still talking about removing the snout from the EV dh1a to make it a 1 1/4" driver,"

It's actually 1.375", make several sets when you get ready to do it.

Use countersunk screws to mount to the driver, and studs with Locktite to mount to the horn. Use the 1/4-20 four-bolt horn pattern (if yours are the newer style).

Would 1/4" thick aluminum be to thick?  I thought it was 1/8", but turns out its 1/4".

Duder, I'm very interested in your progress. I actually have a pair of HR9040 and a set of DH1A too. My 9040s came with 1" adapters already installed with EV 1824M, but I was thinking about trying the DH1A on the horns with adapters removed. Like you, I didn't realize the drivers wouldn't fit directly without an adapter. It's news to me. If you happen to make some extra adapters, I'd definitely be interested. Regardless, let us know how that project progresses!

If I pursue this project I will do.  I was looking at some HR9040s in KC, but unfortunately ran out of funds for now.  I pick up another one of those wonderful EV hp640 horns.  I am hoping to come across another as cheap as this one.

• 1 month later...