In search of a capacitor

USNRET

A co-worker approached me today about a 1969 stereo console given to him by his grandparents. According to grandma it was unplugged 32 years ago working. This guy plugs it in and it worked for about 15 minutes and then popped a capacitor. He is looking for a 35 volt 500 microfarad radial capacitor and has had no luck on the web or calling Mouser. Anybody know of a source?

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors/_/N-75hqt?P=1z0z7l5Z1yx4atvZ1z0wriw

Trust me any of these will work. I am almost positive it is a PS cap and it does no harm going up in uf, if anything it makes the circuit better.

If you are dead set on 500uf 35V you can parallel 2 caps of lesser value 35V until you get 500uf. I would just install one of the 560uf and not worry. 

Yup! won't hurt and can only help...but surely the unit needs way more than one cap. If one blew they will all blow sooner or later. Sitting that long is death to all power supply caps and film coupling caps.  

• Like 1