FOUND: NAD 2600A or 2700THX amp

jayu969

Just bought a 2700THX off of A-gon and looking for a 2nd one so I can run them bridged with my RF-83's or potentially RF-7 II's in the near future.

Prefer to have original box.

Needs to be fully functional and in very good to excellent condition cosmetically.

Edited by jayu969

I don't mean to spoil your plans on such a beautiful Friday afternoon, but consider a few things before proceeding.  The RF-83 with their triple woofs present a low impedance load.  RF-7II are also closer to 4 ohms than 8.  Bridged amps will see half of that.  NAD specifically states that the amps should only be used in bridged mode with speakers of 8 ohm minimum impedance.  Driving lower impedance loads with them in bridged mode is a recipe for lots of heat and premature amp failure.

Those amps are beasts as is.  I still have one of those model's kid brother in the 2100, and even it is a beast.  It will really do 250 watts into four ohms, and for much longer than just a few cycles, confirmed on the bench when I recapped it a few years ago.  I'm not sure what the 2600/2700THX will do, but NAD didn't lie on the spec sheet of the 2100.  For the 2700, NAD claims 600 watts into four ohms.  That is the IHF dynamic power rating method, so for music it's not quite that much, but it's far more than it's rated continuous power.  If you really need more, there are better options than bridging a pair of 25 year old amps and driving a load they're not recommended for.  

Edited by Ski Bum

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Understand about the bridging and impedance limits.  Do you think bi-amping the RF-83's would be worthwhile?

I am currently driving the RF-83's with an Integra receiver, but not happy with the base output.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Understand about the bridging and impedance limits.  Do you think bi-amping the RF-83's would be worthwhile?

I am currently driving the RF-83's with an Integra receiver, but not happy with the base output.

You could just use each 2700 as a monoblock(not bridged) and use one set of terminals on each amp for the left speaker and one for the right speaker.  No need to bridge.  The power supplies in each amp will adjust on it's own to drive one speaker.  Worth a shot.

Bill

Jay, you seem to be operating under a rather common misunderstanding.  Amps are about having the requisite power on tap to achieve the loudness levels you want.  Your amp has serious muscle.  I highly doubt that you're lacking in power.

You say you are dissatisfied with the bass response, which is a frequency response issue rather than a power issue.  

Frequency response problems in the bass are largely related to the room's modal behavior.  This is exactly why moving your speakers as derrickdj1 suggested can really help.  Each room is it's own mix of modal messiness as determined by room dimensions.  Also, you can realize cabin gain in the lowest octaves by proximity to walls.  It's a balancing act, and fortunately one you can play with by trying different locations for your mains.  Even a few inches can make a significant difference, so play around with it.  

Multiple sources of bass can also really help with modal smoothing (do you use a sub?  Consider using the $$ you have for the vintage NAD for a sub instead, as that would get you closer to where you want to be).  

And then there is equalization for taste.  I'm pretty sure your Integra has something to offer there.  Don't be afraid to use it. 

Edited by Ski Bum

Thanks for the additional feedback my basement acoustics are certainly less than desireable.  I will try pulling the speakers further away from the wall.  I actually hooked up my NAD 7400 receiver from the garage and bass has definitely improved with just that switch.