Klipsch "Stock" Academy vs. Klipsch "Crites" KLF-C7

japosey

I wanted to compare my Academy I have paired with my Forte II's with a KLF-C7. Unfortunately, I didn't compare them prior to replacing the stock tweeter diaphragm with a Crites titanium diaphragm. However, my impression of the stock tweeter diaphragm was that it did not have great high frequency extension and was not very sensitive.

Well I placed the C7 on top of my Academy and went to work with a variety of material, both music and voices. I preferred to listen to movie voices since that is 90% of the center channels use in this setup. The two speakers sounded very similar below 1khz-2khz. I could not tell a difference between the two on male voices. There was a difference in the high frequency presences between the two. I imagine it has to do with the larger horn on the C7. The C7 definitely had more presences at the higher frequencies and also had that extra little sparkle with the titanium tweeter. I was presently surprised that the difference between the two speakers was very small and I could be happy with either. I am convinced that I will eventually replace the stock tweeters in my Heritage setup with the Crites tweeters. Just thought I would share my experience.

shouldn't the KLF-C7 pair better with your Forte' lls than your Academy...TracTrix v Exponential (IIRC)???...just a thought...I can't find the specs anymore on this site...

I had a Popbumpered Academy that was great but I kept the KLF-C7 with Crites Titanium tweeter mod to go with my KG 5.5s (or my Quartets or my Chorus lls)

Bill

Edited by silversport

For the last several months I was looking for a center channel speaker. I've been kinda putting together a little HT set-up for the last year or so. Couple of years ago I snagged a set of Fortés for $250. So now I'm thinking I got to find a center.... The Academy and KLF-C7 were on the top of the list. So I kept my eye out for a deal....yea I like deals and I'll wait for one.

A couple months back a ad on the CL popped up....KLF-C7 $150....oh boy I was on it. A phone call and a few hours later it's in my living room.... and yea I like it.

I like the big horn....so now I'm thinging should I try to find some Forté II's.....lol lol.... does it ever stop....

Thanks for the comparison....

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-58340000-1457358873_thumb.j

post-58704-0-56940000-1457358911_thumb.j

• Like 1