Breaking-in???

MCos

I'm about to get my denon 3802 and rf-5's and was wondering how I should break the speakers in. I know some people dont believe in breaking speakers in, but im a noob and just want to try it. If you do know about breakin them in, i'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice.

You can do what UPS did to mine to "break" them in, and drop them and then drop something REAL heavy on top of that, kick them around a little, then act like nothing happened. That should be a good "break in" Smile.gif j/k I would just play them how you want, I don't think there's really a break in period, but if you're scared or something, play them at lower volume for a bit, to get everything moving and warmed up, then slowly increase the volume to where you want, and be done with it Wink.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Sony VCR SLV-N77c>

quote:

Originally posted by William F. Gil McDermott:

I'm starting a new thread on the "break in" issue. Please recall that in the past I'd made posts to the effect that I thought it was an unfounded theory without merit. Now, that has changed.

Perhaps the theory overall started from the automobile industry. I've seen one manufacturer recommend low rpm for the first 500 miles or so. It may have had something to do with getting the rings seated properly. It does not seem to be common advice to the car buying public though. I've not seen it about raw drivers a hobbyist buys though. (But see below.)

The posts here seem to follow the line that speaker salesmen tell buyers that the speakers will improve after some break in. My thought was the same as fellow correspondents here. There is a bit of well founded listening psychology. A new speaker may sound different, and then you get used to it, perhaps appreciating its merits, it does sound better regardless of whether there is any improvement in audio response.

So, I thought, and still do, that the salesmen are making a pre-emptive strike on the buyer setting up the speakers at home, listening, and being disappointed, then bringing them back to the store.

Further. I'd bought three Pyramid 15 inch drivers from Parts Express for the home made horn system. Dr. Bruce Edgar, in an article, had suggested that drivers should be tested to ensure the T/S parameters are what they claim to be. To my knowledge, Dr. Edgar has never taken a position on "break in". This was a quality control issue, probably.

To honor Dr. Edgar, and QC, I used a Linear X LMS system to test parameters on all three drivers, right out of the box, and then again after break in over night. They were on spec. in all cases. Ha! This was hard evidence about break in. At least for these drivers.

However, I've been reading "Testing Loudspeakers" by Joseph D'Appolito. He is a high power Ph.D. who wrote about crossover design, then invented the vertical Mid-Tweeter-Mid (M-T-M) geometry, and later published the aforementioned book. It is a masterful work on theory and his implementation of it using computer based loud speaker measuring systems. Therefore, he is a "hands on guy" too. Most of his work is too complex to discuss here. Read: I don't krock all of it either, yet.

He says at section 2.6.1:

"The suspension on a driver will loosen up with use, and therefore, its parameter will shift. In order to account for this, it is important that all drivers be broken-in before testing. This can be accomplished by suspending the driver in free air and driving it with a power amplifier at a frequecy in the 20-25 Hz range. The drive level should be set for moderate cone travel. Be careful not to overdrive the speaker or physical damage may result. Break in the driver for at least one hour. Longer periods may be needed. Some manufacturers specify their driver parameters after eight and even 24 hour break-in."

I must assume the man knows of what he writes. And my break in was pretty much what he describes.

So where does that leave us as far as (1) what to expect and (2) what to do?, and (3) what to make of my experience. He is talking about testing raw drivers. We're talking about whether things will change once out of the box from Hope, but pretty close.

(1) My thought is that maybe manufacturers like Klipsch use drivers which are not broken in at the factory. So there could be some merit to the notion that after a period of use at home, parameters will shift to a target optium as anticipated by the designers. Maybe they do have better performance. Though I still believe the salemen are exploiting the theory to cover "buyer's remorse".

(2) We still don't have any reason to believe the speakers will benefit in the long run by any specific source material or level to break them in. E.g. a progression of levels, or frequencies; much less, test CDs, versus Pink Floyd, versus grung, versus organ symphonies. To me, it seems that after a week of signal to the speaker, you've got what you've got, and there is no reason to worry about the source.

(3) I was surprised that J. D'A. says manufacturers specify driver parameters after eight and even 24 hour break-in. I'd not seen that in any literature supplied to hobbyists, or otherwise. Maybe the stuff sold to Parts Express and the like are broken in; while the stuff sold to OEMs or made by them are not. Then home break in does the job.

Now you know what I know.

Gil

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

I've had My RF-5's for over a month now and would swear they got quite a bit smoother on the high end over the first couple of weeks? Initially I noticed that on some CD's I had to limit the volume due to ear piercing highs. Now I seem to be able to play these same few CD's at about any volume. As others suggest, it could just be my brain getting used to the speakers?

In any event just play the music you like and decide for youself.

Doug C

The 1st month I had my KLF-10's the highs sounded very harsh. In time they came around and I am now very happy with them.

The instructions that came with my speaker cables said to run them at a constant but normal level for 24 hours straight (leave the radio on or a cd on loop).

At the end of 24 hours you are 80% done. The last 20% of break in will be accomplished over the next month or so.

Not sure how this may apply to the speakers themselves.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

Break in involves two things,your hearing adjusting to the new gear and the gear actual break in.

In most cases the hearing adjusting to the gear is the greatest factor.

When I break my gear in I will leave all electronics ON for three to four weeks and play music at moderate levels.

If you want to speed break in just get a 24 lbs sledgehammer and swing away.Just dont blame me for extreme breakage. Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears