We Were Soldiers

drdiaboloco

Rented this from Blockbuster thinking that it was going to be an okay film, another Mel Gibson vehicle, a way to burn a couple of idle hours...

What I wasn't prepared for was the awesome sound and overall high quality of the picture. The Dolby Digital EX was quite impressive, just as much so as the other highly-lauded war films Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down (both of which I already own).

The film also was high in the wince-and-hold-on-to-the-arm-of-the-couch factor. A very impressive film, and I definitely recommend it without reservation if this kind of thing is up your alley. Not, however, for the squeamish. Perhaps the kids should be sent off to summer camp first. Smile.gif

Also... A surprising Vietnam War film that treats the VC as something other than a throng of mindless killing machines. This film reminded me of nothing if not "Tora Tora Tora" in that it didn't demonize the enemy as a pack of heartless murderers, but as actual humans with their own valid reasons for fighting.

I am surprised to find myself awarding this film five stars out of five, but that's a good sort of surprised. Smile.gif

------------------

-Me fail English? That's unpossible!

agree, excellent overall. i'd put it 2nd to Ryan on my overall good war movie list. U-571 3rd & blackhawk 4th.

sound & fx as good as my earlier Ryan dolby-only version. excellent along w/ the explosions, gunfire & planes/copters. there's an excellent scene w/ the copters coming right overhead that makes excellent use of EX & the rear center. seems isolated just there in that rear center speak. don't know how dts es 6.1 discrete could have done it better.

think i'll take BB up on the coupon to buy it used for $9.99.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I just finished watching this. Excellent movie. Overall PQ & sound are very good.IMHO this flick packs a wallop as does Saving Private Ryan. Found myself getting all choked up & not just at the end of the movie either. Not too many movies do this to me. It just left me feeling alot of different emotions that I couldn't begin to describe. To me it was just a powerful, powerful movies.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

Just purchased this move today! All I can say is AWESOME.

Not only a great picture and sound but the kind of story that takes you there.Superb,the horror of war is well presented.

The only weak point,very weak is at the start of the movie.When the French troops are about to get nailed.

Listen again as the two "French" talk,one has a authentic half assed French accent and the second is a Englishman who tries to talk like a Frenchman and sounds funny and not at all realistic.I mean come on at least hire a Frenchman to play a minor role and not a incompetent actor.

The movie gets only better and better from there,a great buy.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen the movie, but you guys think it is "good enough" to buy it unseen?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung WS-36Z4HF (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: (Still deciding)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier