Fixing micro gauge cables

Karsoncookie

Had two separate situations last few weeks. 

#1 - Little Princess Daisy (puppy Rat terrier) decided to chew on Apple  "Lightning Synch/ charge" cord.

Charger for Wife's I Pad.

#2 - $20 Phillips headphones, cheap, but actually sound pretty good, and in my budget,one side dead allassudden..

Turns out fault by the "Molded" Chinese plug that has NEVER been abused.

Trying to repair like human hair stranded wires.

Clamp on Mag glass , bright lighting, and all arsenal.

Very patience needing.

Damn synthetic rope between the hairs, non strippable varnish like insulation EACH on the individual CU strandhairs, etc.

Amazingly frustrating ohmmeter readings (Wheres the fault??)  due to the "varnish"

Strands won't twist like normal copper for pre soldering, spring back like music wire.

YARRRRRRRRR.

Finally, twisted as good as possibles, and just soldered the whole mess, 

They BOTH WORK !!!!

Heat melted the varnish and string of course, and even though ugly, 60/40 rosin core solder efffectively electrically bonded everything.

Pretty cool, but sooo frustrating , SO small wires.     Lars

HAHA! I used to fix toys when the kiddies were little. Some of them were even McDonald toys.  LOL  

I hated to throw something away my kids were playing with and liked, so I would "paste them back together".  One time my John Deere had a battle with a MecaGodzilla. Sadly, the Deere not only won, but destroyed the MecaGodzilla so badly that I couldn't paste it back together. So instead, I made up an entertaining John Deere vs Meca Godzilla story and made the kids laugh.   

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1