Auto Reverse R2R

Tarheel

It should be on the backing side (not the side with the oxide) only. You should be able to see the contacts on (what teac calls) a sensing post.

You don't want the foil going over the heads, so look at a threaded tape to see where the back of the tape touches and you can locate it. I have a copy of the service manual but can't find it in the drawings.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 2

Thanks Bruce.  I have a manual somewhere but don't remember that issue being mentioned.  I bought a partial roll of foil off ebay.  I know this is a "consumer" deck but it sounds pretty good on the 71/2 ips Robert Cray tape I made a few years back. 

• Like 1

Most of the TEAC decks are good, solid performers. Here's where it's located...

I forgot to add, you want to make sure the tape finishes before you have it switch directions. It looks like a good six to eight inches from the sensing post to the playback head. You will probably want the foil a couple feet from the end of the music. It partly depends on how 'tight' you want the songs to be.

post-5045-0-94700000-1460550791_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

I see the sensing post so it looks like the foil would go on the bottom side of the tape so as to not touch the heads.  That would require the post to sense the foil without touching it?

Radio Shack sensing foil.....

post-17365-0-01940000-1460552765_thumb.j

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 1

it looks like the foil would go on the bottom side of the tape so as to not touch the heads. That would require the post to sense the foil without touching it?

That would be correct.

• Like 1

Eight track decks auto reverse without sensing tape.

eth2,

8 Track tapes don't reverse. They are a continuous loop, constantly pulling the tape past the head assembly. Another marvel of engineering, really. They do have sensing tape, but that is what causes the heads to move to a different location to 'change' tracks'

• Like 2

eth2, 8 Track tapes don't reverse. They are a continuous loop, constantly pulling the tape past the head assembly. Another marvel of engineering, really. They do have sensing tape, but that is what causes the heads to move to a different location to 'change' tracks'

I mistook the "click" for tape reversal. It was worth waking up today just to increase my knowledge in this area.

Thanks Marvel! :-)

• Like 1

So you're still playing 8 track tapes Earl? Just guessing but that may be the weak link in the fidelity chain

Nah. I have 1,000, 48 rpm slightly scratched disks. (Also have some wax drums.)

48 rpm?  Oh, LOL!

• Like 1