SW12 Sub Help

Compton

My sub went out after a storm last week (SW12)

The LED power light is on, but it seems as though the amp is fried. The main fuse is fine. Is there a 2nd fuse anywhere that I could look at?

How much is a new amp for this thing.

I'm thinking it better to go ahead and get a KSW12 or KSW15 for $300-$450 new off the Internet.. Any other suggestions for subs in the price range?

TIA

Hey Compton! Welcome a-board! You might want to call 1-800-KLIPSCH and choose the option for Tech Support. They can help you troubleshoot your sub.

You can also choose the 'parts' option from the menu for price/availability on a replacement amp.

I would spend a little more rather than pay the prices you've noted for the KSW subs.

Good luck!

Keith

Keith-

What do you mean spend a little more? You mean fix what I have? or spend more to purchase a new sub other than Klipsch? Are the KSW's not any good?

On first glance, a 800Watt 15" Klipsch does sound like it would be better than a 150Watt SW12..

But I've seen some posts here that say otherwise.

I am certain it is the AMP.

I had the amp go out about 5 years ago and it was under warranty at the time. But I remember that to replace the amp would have been $500.. ughh

Thanks for the reply.

Smile.gif

You might check on the cost of the repair/replacement of your SW12 amp and then compare that to the cost of a new sub. I never have cared to much for the bottom-firing subs that Klipsch built. You can get a much better sub for just a few more bucaroo's. Check out the link below and feel free to ask questions here. Good Luck!

Keith

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_25-31.htm

steer away from the KSW line. all bark no bite. they look good on paper, but when you put 2 and 2 together, you realize that no quality 15 inch, 800 watt subwoofer would weigh only 45 pounds. Mackie makes a 12 incher that is 85!

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

You don't necessarily have to use a Klipsch amp. Parts Express an $80 plate amp that shoudl work well. Might take a little bit of time to figure out which rumble filter/boost setting to use (which will require some soldering as well). http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=8160879&St=5815&St2=62857994&St3=30949877&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=9387&DID=7

Would be a little tricky to mount the new amp on unless they are the same size, but you could always just drill a hole or run the speaker wire through the port to the PE plate amp and just have it sit on the floor outside of the sub.

$550 for a replacement amp in highway robbery. That's ridiculous. I'd wouldn't be surprised if the amp cost Klipsch less than $50 and I'd bet money it was less than $100. Given what $550 can buy you in new subs getting a new one becomes a no brainer if you don't like the idea of hacking in a PE amp.

Compton,

WHAT?

"The replacement cost to buy a new amp from Klipsch is $550!"

If this is ANY true then Klipsch is ripping the good loyal Klipsch customer from his/her clothes!

$550 for a BASH 270W RMS amp plate!? For this money you could add a few more $$ and get an SVS CS-Plus!

Or a Paradigm PW2200 for less!!This must be a joke

I hope so if not its a joke with no taste

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hey Compton, I've got 2 SW12II's and like them just fine. I also like Klipsch speakers and have loads of respect for the way they, as a Company, take care of their customers. Despite all that, if Klipsch couldn't keep me woofin' for less than $500, I visit the SVS website.

Good luck!

Keith

Here is the scoop on SW-12 amp repair.

We do not have any in stock.

We will do a repair to the amp you send to us for $240.

Contact Klipsch RA department by calling 800-klipsch and choosing the option for RA.

Bob,

I talked to the repair dept, and they said there were 0 amps in stock but that I could send it in for $240. But then I talked to the Replacement Parts department also last week and they told me that they had 0 in stock at one of the locations in Arkansas and 48 in stock at the other location in Ark. Price for a new amp was over $500. Honestly, thats what I was told.

This message has been edited by Compton on 09-09-2002 at 04:46 PM