Best cd player in the $400 range?

jwadd21

Marantz? NAD? Denon? What would you recommend?

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

DVD Player: JVC Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

New or used?

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

$400 new, 250-$300 used....

------------------

MY SYSTEM

I use a Cambridge Audio D500se and can highly recommend it. I have also heard the Planet and suggest that if you find a good used unit you would have a tough time finding anything better at the price.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

at what point does it make sense to use the cd player's DAC using analog instead of the receivers DAC using digital if I have a pretty nice receiver in a HK AVR520?

------------------

MY SYSTEM

When the CD player's DAC's are better than the Receiver's DAC's. My guess is the Rega Planet has better DAC's than your Receiver.

I know this is true with my Panasonic RP-91 (DVD-V/DVD-A/CD) versus my Denon 4800. I never use the DAC's on the Denon any longer. As a matter of fact, I turned off the Digital output...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

So you use all anolog? wow...I think I'll end up using digital for dvds because you can hook it up using one cable, and I dont watch dvd's nearly as much as I listen to music. I already have an older JVC dvd player, and I am wondering if upgrading to a better/newer model will result in better sound quality when using a digital output. Apparently not because it will depend on the receivers quality, right? In this case, I would just buy a nice cd player and use the analog 2 channel output instead of buying a dvd player also.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

On the Panasonic, it has 6 analog outputs (5.1) that connect directly to the analog inputs (EXT-IN) on the Denon 4800 for multi-channel music and movies. This is for DVD-A, but I found I preferred the sound for DD 5.1 and DTS DVD's as well.

Because most DVD-A players do not have bass management (only the .1 LFE channel makes it to the subwoofer), I bought a Outlaw ICBM that now handles the bass mgmt for anything coming out of the Panasonic (using the analog outputs). The 6 analog cables now go from the Panny to the ICBM inputs, and then from the ICBM outputs to the Denon inputs. This allows me to set the crossovers for the mains, center, and rear surrounds individually. It's also nice when using these outputs for DD 5.1 and DTS, because it overrides the 80hz crossover that the Denon is set to if I were to use the digital cable...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-02-2002 at 08:04 AM

Ok...So should I just keep the JVC player because the sound will be no different in a higher priced dvd player when I use digital outputs? In this case, I should just grab a high quality cd player and use it's analog outputs instead of digital assuming it's DAC is better than my HK AVR520 receiver's? Is this all correct? I just dont know if it's worth using analog for the 6.1 sound, it seems like too many cable and hassle, i'd rather use digital and my HK AVR520's DAC.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Seems like youre really not asking anything here. Just do as you desire. Remember, you are in a two channel forum. I personally wouldnt use an AV receiver's DAC of that quality; it's almost a no brainer. First of all, if serious about 2 channel sound, be warned that your AV HK receiver is nowhere near the quality of even bargain basement dedicated 2 channel amplifiers on the used market. I have not heard good sonics from an AV receiver to be honest. Most of my friends have these units for the HT setups and when you drop over and they end up playing music, it's a big disappointment. I would actually say a HUGE disappointment. The quality just is not there.

The whole player package would be your best bet digital-wise for the simplicity and cost if looking for a good CD player. I dont understand your USED pricing relative to your new at all. The whole POINT of a used purchase is to take the price you would spend for a NEW unit, and dump it into the used market enabling you to afford a MUCH better player. This price reduction for used makes absolutely no sense. And in the area of 200, you might as well buy a new player of your choice that you feel comfortable with.

For new players, $400 does not buy you a lot. The units from Arcam as well as Cambridge are not that bad (as stated). NAD used to have a bad quality control problem but I dont hear much about it any more. Marantz makes some good players for the ducats but are outclassed now.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-03-2002 at 06:45 AM

Ok mobile, so you suggest I get a two channel amp for my fronts do you? Now, how would I make the sound balance with my other speakers when using HT? I just dont know how that works.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: Older JVC Progressive Scan...soon to be a Toshiba SD5700(HDCD)

jwadd,

Why not have 2 separate systems that utilize your main speakers like I do. When I want to listen to the 2-channel system, I plug the speaker wires from the Scott into the back of my speakers and when I want to listen to my HT rig, I plug those into the speakers.

This way I get to hear a tube integrated (Scott 299) with my turntable and Rega Planet for 2-channel listening. When I want DVD-V or DVD-A, I listen to my HT system. It's the best of both worlds...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Jwadd

As mike points out, it is very easy to have a good 2 channel and HT friendly system.

It is very true, that a HT multi channel reciever fails miserably to the quality you will get with a component system.

Take a look at my HT in the odds and mods section. I am doing something simular to Mike. I have a Mac C-36 as my preamp for listening and a Lexicon MC-1 for my HT processor. I have both main amps connected to both pre-amps using a low gain phono switch in between. If you look at my Pics, I have the 2 main R + L amps under the C-36 on the right hand side. If you look at my wireing picture you can see two cobalt cables entering the amp holes from behind.

If I go to Tube amps (still debating) I plan to use the same setup and just replacing the existing amps with whatever. Well not quite replacing, I plan to use the existing amps for my future rear speakers for 7.1.

The sound levils between all the amps are controlled by the HT processor. You do not need a 5or 6 channel amp. I have 3 different types of amps (6 amps total) for my 5.1 setup, very easy to balance on the processor using a SPL meter.

JM