K-77 tweeter repair

hightone

1. Mark the magnet assembly and the lens with a red pen so when u put the two pieces back together you will have a mark for proper alignment.

2. Unscrew the magnet from the lens of the tweeter. Remove the old casket and clean it up for use. Draw a diaphragm on how the casket sits inside.

3. Discard the old diaphragm.

4. Use compressed air to clean out the magnet assemble and all inside parts. You'll see a round opening that the coil sits in. Make sure that this is clean.

5. Use a drill to make a 1/16 of an inch hole where each speaker lead is connected. Drill these holes from the outside of the lens assembly.

6. Carefully put the new diaphragm inside the gasket. Insert the casket inside the lens assembly and thread the diaphragm leads into the holes you drilled. Do one side first with the diaphragm on an angle. Then do the other side. Note: there is a red mark on the diaphragm, which lines up with the indentation on the magnet section. You'll know what I mean when you look at it.

7. Don't pull the leads too tight. They should have a little slack in them.

8. Solder the diaphragm leads from the outside of the assembly.

9. Carefully place the magnet assembly over the diaphragm.

10. Replace screws and test.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Klipsch Employees

------------------

Trey Cannon

Technical Support

Klipsch Audio Technologies

trey.cannon@klipsch.com

1-800-554-7724 opt 2

1. Mark the magnet assembly and the lens with a red pen so when u put the two pieces back together you will have a mark for proper alignment. c>

. The k-77 tweeter does not unscrew as the standard horn driver does. There are 4 screws that go through the magnet structure into the diaph assy and horn. It should all come off the magnet clean. c>

4. Compressed air cannot remove pieces of the magnet from the assembly. Use masking tape, folded so the sticky side is out to wipe the gap clean.c>

5.There is no need to drill anything. Even if all you are replacing is the diaphragm and not the whole assembly. A soldering iron can be used to remove the old solder. The best way is to replace the entire diaph. Assembly. c>

. On the k-77 there is a cut out on the magnet assembly that must correspond to the lead wire on the voice coil. The horn will need to be mounted to the diaph assy with a wire and paper gasket between them. With all parts in place, replace the screwsc>

This message has been edited by trey cannon on 09-24-2002 at 11:14 AM

Greetings Gentlemen,

Do the diaphragm's have a working life? My '76 LaScala's have the originals and sound fine. I play them daily, but don't abuse them, should they be replaced? Or leave them alone until there is a problem. Will replacement diaphrams always be available for repairs?

Regards,

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1987 Khorns Mains

1976 LaScala's Rears

KV-1 Center

KSW-12 Sub

Two-Channel

Fisher 800C Receiver

1987 Khorns

Teac CDP

Pioneer TT

Nice post Trey.

Greg,

How does that old saying go? If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Many times I wished that I fallowed that rule.

I think that it is a good idea to have a few spare parts around. The parts won't be around for ever, and I plan on having my speakers around longer then my lifetime.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man