Used Cary Pre-Amps - Need Advice - Direction

No Disc

Mobile,

At one time I thought it was a conversion based on expecting to find 12AX7's there, but the SLP-90 operating manual specifies the use of the 4 12AU7's. It's the same for the SLP-94 that Wes has. I still have not been able to get a clearly stated list of what is different between the two models and why upgrading it to SLP-94 by the factory would cost $400. I'm more likely to buy into adding the SLP-90 phono section for the $400 cost and later selling my external phono stage to recoup much of the expense.

Klipsch out.

Man, I could have sworn there were 12AX7s in the front. I remember reading that somewhere as well. I actually heard the SLP-90 before it was released in the early 90s.

WAIT. I know where I saw it! RIGHT HERE. I have the brochure for the SLP-90 sitting right here in front of me. It specifies this:

8 Total Gold Aero Premium Tubes

2-6CA4 Rectifiers (ala HF-81)

2-12AU7 Cathode Followers

2-12AX7 Line Stage

2- 12AX7 Phono

I knew the unit had 12AX7s in the line stage. The SLP-94 went to ALL 12AU7. What I think you have is possibly a LATE SLP-90. It makes sense that they might have changed the unit to 12AU7 very late in the run and then moved to the new name. This makes even more sense as they didnt have the gold face option till later as it is not even listed in this. I dont remember seeing the gold front for awhile. This now makes sense. So you ALREADY probably have the 12AU7 upgrade (hopefully...heh).

kh

Jazman,

How do you like your SLP-90? Any photos? I forgot what you are driving with it?

Edster - I was amazed with rolling tubes with my Eico, and how NOS tubes made a huge diffrence in the sound and really opened up the sound. I belive much more now than before what magic a pre-amp can do.

- tb

slp-90.jpg

Jazman's SLP-90. I think I found this damn thing for him at Audiogon, come to think of it. IS that right, Edmond? This is actually his unit. He is driving the 2A3 Moondogs, of course!

I would shoot for the SLP-94 since it is definitely going to have the 12AU7 if going between the two. Also, I have heard the SLP-98 is the best of the three. It's just hard to find units with the phono as well.

kh

ps- 90% of the units have the black face plate with the chrome chassis a combo that looks very nice if that is important.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-03-2002 at 08:34 PM

I have had many conversations with Jeff Korneff and he is as nice as they come. He now builds his 45 amps and 76 preamps for a living from his home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was in Pittsburgh for a week in July and never even stopped by to say hi. I'm a little disappointed about that. Of course, I spent a week in Myrtle Beach earlier this year and didn't stop by mobile's house either. I won't make that mistake again next year during my annual golf trip there.

If anybody wants to talk to Jeff about his gear, he can be reached at 412-486-9135...

Mike

Mike

Since I am in the market it might be worth calling him to chat, but at this point I don't like to bother people unless I know I can afford to purchase their product. I have no clue what he charges for those.

BTW: I did get a chance to hear his 45 amp at the Chicago hornfest this summer. Unfortunately the poor room setup, and strange mixture of equipment made it impossible for me to determine what that amps potential was.

- tb

tbabb,

The photo mobile has posted is definitely my Cary and he spotted it on Audiogon. I really like this preamp which no longer has any of the mentioned Gold Aero Premium tubes. It uses tubes common to my HF-81 which is very attractive to me, though I'm sure the SLP-98 has some sonic advantages with it's use of 6SN7's. I posted a photo of the Cary with the rest of my system in a fairly recent post on my 2 channel system.

"Pictures of my 2 channel system"

The system changed recently with the addition of the VPI Aries Scout TT replacing the Rega 3/RB300 TT. I'm not very likely to change the Cary preamp for some time to come or until edster decides to upgrade his SupraTek which I have called first in line for the handmedown.

Airies Scout Review with pictures

Mobile, as usual, you've shed some light for me on the Cary upgrade issue. It's nice to know the addition of the phono section will get me where I want to be. Now all I need is the cash.

Klipsch out.

My 2 Channel System:

1975 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa PP-1 Phono preamplifier,modified

VPI Aries Scout TT/JMW 9 Tonearm/Clear Audio Aurum Alpha cart.

Rega Planet CD player

AudioQuest Bedrock speaker cables

Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects

Edmond, I just recalled a review of the VPI "Extended" Aries with the JMW 12.5 arm done by ole Michael Fremer (someone I dont always agree with but is a vinyl freak) in which he had the table on a stand with an acrylic top. He said the sound was subpar with this setup as it introduced feedback into the table at an alarming rate (Purchase a stethoscope and listen to the plinth to get an idea of the type of noise making it back into the table).

I just looked the comments up and he said he found something that greatly improved the sound. He reported putting an A.R.T. carbon-fiber composite Q Damper under each of the four cones. He then put "four Wagner (Division of Diversitech) vibration dampers under the motor. These last pieces are non-audio devices - he apparently doenst even know what they are made for, but reports they work here. He found absolutely NO MOTOR noise at the plinth when using the stethoscope, something that was very problematic before with the cones alone.

I would give this some thought with a little research.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-04-2002 at 12:18 PM

mobile,

I have that issue. Ole' Michael was taken to task by Harry Weisfeld in the Manufacturers Comments section later in that issue on several points and for using an acrylic tabletop on the Aries while using a "kilobuck 200 lb air suspension table for the Simon Yorke. I've got some email going back and forth with VPI now for ideas to explore additional lower extension. Believe me, I am not having any problems here, just exploring if I can bleed more performance. I just received a back issue (#16) of HiFi+ wiwth a review of the Scout. A very favorable one that does not elevate it so killer of megabuck TTs, but clearly outlines where and how cost savings were employed, and how it does manage to deliver against something like the Clearlight Recovery. Some comments were, "the Scout/9.0 combination isn't perfect. It lacks the air and soundstage volume of a turntable like the TNT, the definition of the space between and around instruments. It also has a lighter overall balance, something affected by the surface on which it stands( and one of the variables introduced by a solid plinth). But at the price it presents a broader bandwidth and greater energy and drive than anything else out there, which combined with the spatial eveness and inter-instrumental sophistication of the tonearm makes it a powerful contender." There were many other positives expressed within the review but I won't bother with them here. There was no mention of motor vibration problems and I have not deteted any.

I knew I wasn't buying a TNT, so no surprises with those remarks. I, however, did get a lot of performance for my money, and as usual, VPI has upgrades to improve the performance. VPI claims to have learned a lot from the Scout design that will influence even their higher end tables. Maybe better feet for the motor was one.

I do wish to explore the "surface on which it stands" to see if there is more to be had from what I consider an already wonderful sounding setup. I'll keep you informed.

Klipsch out.