Omega Aperiodic 8 Speakers with Skylan Stands

tlarwa

I bought these over the winter from a fellow audiophile in the Chicago area. And they have been nothing short of terrific! The original ad for the speakers and stands is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138181.msg1471181#msg1471181

A review of the A8's and Skylan stands is here:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine3/system.html

The Skylan stands are sand filled, and are the recommended height (same stands as in the review).

These Omegas have pinpoint imaging and the unreal midrange you'd expect from a crossover-less single driver speaker. For jazz, vocals, folk and most rock they are hard to beat. I have even played Floyd and Zeppelin with great success, but that's admittedly not their strength. But man, you can't beat them for Miles or Phil Woods playing in a club! These have the hempcone drivers.

All units are in great shape. Unfortunately, I scratched up the tops on both Omegas when I was building and testing the tweeter units. I'm such an IDIOT. I'm mad about it still. I tried to rub the scratches out with 0000 steel wool, but wasn't successful with the catalyzed finish they have. So the tops are flawed. I use a felt cover between the tweeter and the speaker so I don't see it. The rest of the surfaces on both speakers are flawless. Performance-wise, these are without issue. I've been running these with a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 LFP-V amp with great success. I've also used a 1.5W SET and a Fisher 400 with good results. They are about 95dB efficient.

I am asking $700 for the speakers and stands, which should stay together. Or, I'd trade for a really nice set of Klipsch Cornwalls. I live in SE WI. Contact me for shipping charges.

post-30593-0-86500000-1466902733_thumb.j

post-30593-0-76100000-1466902759_thumb.j

post-30593-0-57020000-1466902771_thumb.j

post-30593-0-79260000-1466902788_thumb.j

post-30593-0-82180000-1466902799_thumb.j

post-30593-0-91020000-1466902812_thumb.j

Edited by tlarwa

Wow. That's a lot of speaker for the money! Good luck with your sale. Really cool! How do you have the Vifa ring radiator tweeters integrated? Crossover?

I have them crossed over at a specific frequency using an oil-filled cap. I have 2 sets of caps available to tweak the crossover point. There's also a pot so the volume can be adjusted. I play them so you can just start to hear them. They really add a little "shimmer" to the top end. Honestly, the Omegas are fine without them, but they don't hurt anything. And it was a fun little project.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. That's a lot of speaker for the money! Good luck with your sale. Really cool! How do you have the Vifa ring radiator tweeters integrated? Crossover?

I have them crossed over at a specific frequency using an oil-filled cap. I have 2 sets of caps available to tweak the crossover point. There's also a pot so the volume can be adjusted. I play them so you can just start to hear them. They really add a little "shimmer" to the top end. Honestly, the Omegas are fine without them, but they don't hurt anything. And it was a fun little project.

Any bsc or other passive bits contouring the main drivers?

I've often wondered why aperiodic loading isn't used more, it makes for nice, tight, dry, non-bonky bass.  Good looking setup!  GLWS.

Any bsc or other passive bits contouring the main drivers?

I've often wondered why aperiodic loading isn't used more, it makes for nice, tight, dry, non-bonky bass.  Good looking setup!  GLWS.

Nope. They are pure single drivers. And they really do sing beautifully.