Car Audio Loses Time

USNRET

I don't see a dedicated, assigned, automobile audio forum so here goes. I have a Kenwood DPX500BT receiver in my 2003 Silverado SS pickup (been in about 2 years or so). A few months ago I began noticing that the clock randomly loses time; sometimes by exactly - one hour and sometimes by - one hour and a few minutes. I am not sure if it always does it at engine start or some other time since haven't developed the habit of looking immediately after engine start. First thought of course was that the constant power wire connection is intermittent but if that was the case wouldn't I lose all presets and stored information? It's only the clock that has the issue.

Thoughts?

That would explain it. I haven't been able to find that it does / dose not in the specs. Too many gosh darn adapters on this for retention of the steering wheel controls, Bose amp, etc. If might get up the energy to sit in the hot azz truck and pull the dash apart one of these days but I may choose to have a replacement unit ready to go in if I can't fins a hot wire issue so I don't have to do it twice.

I think the yellow wire is batt+ and red is ignition/ACC. If the yellow is not connected to a non switched source, you will have this type or problem. You should also be losing your station presets though. If it turns out your KW is a dud and you can't get warranty, I have a brand new Kenwood digital media receiver I can push your way if interested for $50 shipped. I bought two and used one. Its a KMM-BT315U. There is no CD player, so be warned. This is a modern bluetooth, USB, etc and does support FLAC which is cool.

• Like 2

Thanks for the offer I just picked up a KMM-BT515HD at lunch! That's a good deal for someone here. Kept perfect time thru 12 starts yesterday, thru last night and 2 starts today. Going to lunch I noticed it was 1:12 early; bought a new unit.

• Like 1

Well the new head unit is installed and it's coming back out. It doesn't fit my dash opening correctly (a small trim would fix it but I'm not cutting my SS's dash cover), the display is too dim to see and it doesn't sound as good as the old one. I'll swap it out tomorrow for a KW BT502 which is two generation up from the original I took out due to time keeping issues.

14 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Well the new head unit is installed and it's coming back out. It doesn't fit my dash opening correctly (a small trim would fix it but I'm not cutting my SS's dash cover), the display is too dim to see and it doesn't sound as good as the old one. I'll swap it out tomorrow for a KW BT502 which is two generation up from the original I took out due to time keeping issues.

It never hurts to upgrade. I was satisfied with the sound of the one I have. It powers the components in front and the coax rears and is paired with a 1500 watt amp driving a sealed box with a Dayton 15" HO in it. The head unit we yanked out was a Pioneer. I think this one sounds better. The display is dimmer however. 

My DPX 500BT has an illumination wire that controlled the display brightness using the dash light rheostat. I am finding all the newer model (including the 502) does not use the truck's dash control. I simply can not see the display in the daytime. May have to re-think this and live with a bad clock.

42 minutes ago, USNRET said:

My DPX 500BT has an illumination wire that controlled the display brightness using the dash light rheostat. I am finding all the newer model (including the 502) does not use the truck's dash control. I simply can not see the display in the daytime. May have to re-think this and live with a bad clock.

That is a good feature. I would want it too...

Weird! Original DPX 500BT randomly last time. Removed and replaced with a KMM that didn't work out due to display brightness and fit. Re-installed the 500 after 3 hours and the ONLY thing lost while disconnected was display colors; time and pre-sets were still correct. I took the KMM back and went with the DPX502BT, installed and got it running. A couple of hours later I started up and the time on the 502 was -2 hours!!!!!!!

At this point I suspect the PAC GM adapter kit and next I will run a dedicated, always on, power wire bypassing the PAC adapter. I think my house ghost now lives in my truck.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I own a Kenwood DPX303MBT and I have a clock issue where I noticed a week or so after I bought it, the clock was well behind. Every time I reset it to the correct time, ~20 seconds later it jumps back about 20 minutes. What could be the problem?

On 8/5/2018 at 11:32 AM, JHoss8 said:

I own a Kenwood DPX303MBT and I have a clock issue where I noticed a week or so after I bought it, the clock was well behind. Every time I reset it to the correct time, ~20 seconds later it jumps back about 20 minutes. What could be the problem?

Turn off time sync / auto update and check it. That was my issue...local RDS broadcaster gave bad info or the Kenwoods have an issue. I haven't tried it lately.