Home Theater 3D blu ray projection

Boxoffice Buff

I was wondering if folks could share their experience watching 3D bluray projection in a home theater setup. I was thinking of buying my first 3D bluray but am not sure if it is worth the extra $$. My understanding is that light output degrades in 3D. 

My HT hardware comprises of an Oppo BD 103 player, Panasonic AE-8000 projector, 115" Scope (2:35:1) Elite screen and Klipsch 5.1 HT speakers -R 62s & R-115

Well...... I notice significant drop off with 3D.  That doesn't mean I don't occasionally put the 3D disc in to watch a movie that way.  A lot also has to do with the source material.  I have Polar Express and almost all of that movie is night scenes, so it's dark to start with.   While I have the AE-8000, I don't have Gravity so I can't comment on that movie and my 3D collection is limited.  I will say that 3D movies are more of a novelty to me rather than a hardcore desire to have to watch. YMMV.

3D is neat, but I don't like it as well because of the focus. If you try to look at something the mixer or cameraman isn't focusing on, it will be blurry. If you still frame on HD you will see what I mean. With non-3D, you can look at areas not being focused on, and they are more in focus. I understand a lot of this has to do with depth of field, but with 3D, there is more to it than that. Try watching the same 3D movie a second time. When you want to look for things you missed, you will get a headache trying to focus on blurry stuff. 

Some day there will be a truly painless immersive video experience, but IMO 3D isn't there yet. It's a gimmick.

3D is awesome but I prefer animated movies.  Don't like live action nearly as much.  Animated movies are brighter and pop out at you rather than having subtle depth.  Also having a professional calibration helps because they can calibrate specifically for 3D.  Also setting your blu ray player up properly helps with ghosting and double images.  You can choose how big your screen is in your blu ray player.  

13 hours ago, Youthman said:

I have the 8000u....haven't ever had a desire to try the 3D myself.  Partly because I wear glasses already. 

Just curious...do you have to have Active 3D glasses with the 8000u?

The 8000 is active and the amount of 3D offset is adjustable so you can play with how much standout from the screen you want.  I have the two set of glasses that came with the projector and 4 more Sony PS sets that I picked up off of Ebay for very little.   That gives me a room full worth, but the kids only get up to these parts occasionally.  Like I said earlier, it's a novelty for me.