Titanimum Midrange for Chorus 2

quanghuy147

Hi, I have  a pair of Chorus 2 and have upgraded the original tweeter with Titanium ones, I am very happy with the result and now I want to do the same with the midrange. .I check the specs of Chorus 2 and learned that the midrange driver is K61. Then I checked Simply Speakers website and only found Ti midrange for K52 and K53. Do you know where else I can find a pair of diaphragm for K61? Is Simply Speakers the only (and the best) source to buy Ti midrange diaphragms? I read some threads about Ti diaphragm, some advised to buy Ti diaphragms from Klipsch. Is there any difference between the ones from Simply Speakers and those from Klipsch?

Thank you!

a K61 is a K52,53 etc. the different numbers is simply to indicate which speaker the part came out of, I believe the number game is Klipsch's little way of messing with the heads of folks who mess with their speakers. The titanium mid diaphragms Simply Speakers sells are Klipsch original factory parts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quanghuy147 said:

Thank you everyone for your advice.

If I just change the mid diaphragm without changing the crossover, the would overlapped frequencies cause a noticeable problem?

You may not care but there will be a peak in that region compared to normal sound.  Also since those diaphragms are not usually pushed as low as a Chorus II crosses over, you may find out you lowered the output capability and also introduced either a notch in the crossover or distortion (possibly both).

I tried them twice, once without the bandpass filter and once with. The first time without was terrible-- Mids were very shouty and in your face, like they were playing twice as loud as the other two drivers, I couldn't remove them fast enough. I read somewhere that I may have installed them either reverse polarity or out of phase which may have contributed to that experience?

A few years later after reading about me possibly installing them wrong and the new band pass crossover add on I figured I'd give them one more shot. I actually did get much better results the second time and really like what I was hearing at low to low-mid volume. At that time I used to have people over a couple times a week and on the weekends and things would get turned up rather loud, that is where I had problems the second time around. It seemed after a certain volume, around mid volume or so, (pretty loud) the mids would just start to walk away from the woofer and tweeter and get really shouty again, like a PA horn.

At lower volumes they did sound nice and seem more detailed but with the way they got so loud at higher volumes it caused me to suspect that they may have just been a little louder than the stock drivers giving them the impression of greater detail. I never did take measurements or anything, I just removed them and moved on with my life.

• Like 1