Timbre

rrunnr73

I have a slightly different opinion. I agree with the 62 first, but I'd switch up and say the 450c would be a closer match than the 64. The 64 has a 1.25" compression driver, and the 64ii has a 1.75", both of which are quite a bit different than the 1" in the 62 or 82 fronts.

All reference speakers shared the same type of drivers and are closely timber matched.  Depending on the system, it may be a mute point.  I use an RC 64 with RF 7 II and the old RF 7 and could not tell.  I did really, really try, lol.  I can't recall ever mentioning that I needed a closer match on this forum and I 've had the 64 for quite a few years.  Buying a 64 II would be a waste of money for me, lol.

LOL. I was contemplating starting a thread like this just the other day...

Ref IV stuff is getting relatively harder to come by used, especially in great condition with original boxes. 

I did some spec comparison and it seems like the biggest differences is in the 90x60 vs 90x90 horns and there is like a 1500hz xo difference in some of models. I doubt much of it would make much of a difference, especially if you are matching height / wide channels with an existing system like I will be doing. I will still probably keep working toward getting all matching gear just for fit / finish, but I doubt I could tell a difference in AB comparison.