Room Layout

bkervaski

Hey guys, laying out my room.  This is what I have so far (attached).

Any suggestions what to do about rear surrounds?  Was going to skip them but now that I got a Denon AVR-X6200W for cheap they are back on the table.  

If I put two RP-240S's back there half of the right speaker would be hitting that wall in close quarters (which is stairs).

I thought about a single RP-140S in a 6.2.4 configuration, is that possible or even worth it?

Seems that floor standing would be really close together.

Thoughts?

2 x RP-260F

2 x RP-240S

1 x RP-440C

2 x R-112SW

4 x CDT-5650-C II

room.jpg

This room issue comes up a lot.  Short answer is if the couch stays against the back wall no rear surrounds.  If u can and want to move it forward a few feet then rear surrounds go on back wall.  They are nice but not remotely the same importance as the first 2 surrounds.  Not needed esp in a small room.  The 5.2.4 is the key setup not the 7.

2 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

This appears to be a  5.2.4 Atmost setup or a 7.2 with FH/SB speakers.  Is the room a basement?

Yes, 5.2.4 and Yes, a finished basement.

The stairwell wall is what my question is really about .. how to get rear surrounds back there effectively.  I was wondering if a single rear surround made sense in the middle of that back wall instead of 2 since one of those 2 would have to be right up against the stairwell wall.

If there is room, two more in-ceiling speakers  or in-wall speakers.  If not, the system can always be converted to a 9..2.X system using top middle atmos speakers.  The two rear ceilings speakers with be the surround back. What avr are you working with?

The Atmos will still work without SB in the 5.2.4.  You just need to sets of ceiling speakers to get it to work. Not optimal but, if there is no room for SB, we have to work with what is available.

LOL great to hear that was a stairwell.   Looks funny now because the picture is updated and I'm rambling about not putting speakers behind what is now a stairwell :)  Advice above from the others is spot on.  These gents have tried all these options themselves and are giving you experienced advice.