Turntable

mr.pee1

Well I put a new needle and belt in the old Sanyo , got a cheap phono amp ( Pyle ) put on Tubular Bells ( I bought it in 1974)  those that don't know , music from the "Exorcest " it was wounderful . I have a record cleaner on the way, still looking for a better ? Turntable. 

mr. pee,

Depending on the cartridge, that would be where I would look to upgrade,also on the phono pre amp. Those two things will make a big difference.

On the table, if you do decide to upgrade what is your price range?

If you're looking for something you can upgrade as you go along, I'd look at an AR-XA table. They sound good stock, and as you upgrade them they can match up against many tables in the upper price ranges of $1500-2000.00,and then some.

I went through about 25 tables over the last 2 years playing around to see what I liked, and I've bought 2 XA's, one in my profile pic, and a stock one that I will be upgrading as well. They are extremely easy to maintain and work on.

You can find good decent ones on the bay for about $200.00. Then as you upgrade, you can go on Audio Karma and look up Steve Frosten and Marc Morin as well as Larry Spence. The stock XA table's headshell is a little funny to deal with, but they are extremely quiet and are belt drive tables.Upgrading the tone arm alone will bring the table up several notches and the upgrade for that is less than $200.00.

Just an option.

It's hard to go wrong with a Technics SL-1200/1210, the later and better condition the better.  SL-1200 is silver and SL-1210 is black.  They're otherwise identical. 

The Mk 2 is popular, but the Mk 5 has LED lighting and digital speed control, and the SL-1210M5G has upgraded tonearm wiring as well.  It came in black only.