Where can I listen to the La Scalia II's or Cornwall III's?

32blownhemi

6 hours ago, Islander said:

The La Scala IIs have more bass and slightly deeper bass, and they look much better.

If I may say without sounding like I'm trying to correct Mr. Islander (lest he get upset with me and go jump into the cold cold water....hmmm..now that I think more about it... :o)

Per Jim Hunter, the LaScala I and II have the same bass output.  The difference is the cabinet of the II's don't vibrate as much so you can hear it better.

If you have a 'standard' LaScala and can tame the sidewalls, it should sound like it's picked up an octave of bass.

He told me directly it's there in both speakers, you just can't hear it in the original version for the sidewalls buzzing. (my words, not his)

(jump Pat, jump..... :ph34r:)

I'll stick to the ferry, thanks.

True, the sound coming out of the woofer is the same with both generations of La Scala, but the LS2 gives the impression of a bit more bass coming out of the horn.  It's not a day and night difference, but you can hear it.

As for the sidewalls buzzing, I've never turned the volume that high.  Anyway, the power going to vibrate the side panels would take away from the power coming out of the horn, so the LS2s simply do what the original Scalas should do, or what they would do with additional stiffening of the side panels.  So we are effectively in agreement.

There is one other detail difference:  the LS2 horns are about an inch deeper.  The Vee of the doghouse does not come quite as close to the front of the horn as it does in the first-generation speakers.