what's my weakest link?

dislocated

wes, my problem was i wanted a seperate sub, but i didn't have the space for optimal placement. just as far as room placement goes, the rp-5 I had were a better fit for the room because i could get an rp nearer to the corner where my front door is, since the speak & sub are together as one. Smile.gif

so what i was implying, w/ a room restricted in space, powered towers could be best for placement. you also could get benefit of 2 or more subs evening out the room nodes (which i did also).

but when i started upgrading, since i couldn't get a seperate sub nearer the corner, i had to compensate by getting a bigger box w/ more output that would put out more w/ worse placement. in my case i finally opted for the velo hgs-18 & $2250. got the klf-30 to put w/ it for $1350. so $4k may be a little high. Smile.gif

just my case though. pointing out that PT such as the rp or keith's may be better for certain rooms unless one wants to pour $ into a sub to make up for the less-than optimal placement options. like i did. cwm6.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Which is what I was trying to say boa. Maybe my comments weren't as clear as yours. Oh well.

dislocated, try another pair of RP's in the rear of your room. The additional pair will add unbelievably to the sound of your system. The HK will drive the upper end of your RP's, the low end of course is powered.

Keith

Hey Guys,

I understood you both and know that there are means to counteract any real or perceived issues. But those workarounds involve more that the two speakers he presently has. Remember he pointed out that he would only use those in their present configuration.

I concede that Klipsch speakers are far more capable at multipurpose roles than other makes. You guys have the on hand experience with PT's and know far more than I how to configure, and what add ons make them better performers in different set ups.

My point in a nutshell is, since he stated he would use as configured, any comments to modify his PT set up or add additional subs or speakers was irrelevant. The previous post was just a counter to show that there was some basis for my comments.

I do hope he takes a close look at your comments and suggestions. Your info would certainly help him maximize the PTs for 2-channel listening and pleasure.

Regards to you both.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-11-2002 at 11:32 AM

two items made big differences for me in my upgrade history, the rest were modest. One, and the biggest difference, was when I switched form SS to tube amplification. You could get a great vintage integrated tube amplifier for your $400 and Scott or Eico are recommended here. Perhaps with luck a decent tube amp like an ST-70 could be paired with your H&K used only as a preamp? The second item that made a bigg difference was my outboard DAC an MSB linkDAC III with an upsampling card, this was connected to my Sony CD changer and made a quite noticable improvement in my sound. Best of luck, Tony

Save your cash. Klipsch -Good, Harman -Good. A CD player is a CD player the beauty of digital is it DOES NOT have the same sound issues that the older systems have such as tapes and LP's. Although I do not care for the quality of Sony products (manufacture). With a CD it either sounds good or not everything else is a nice mix of "bells and whistles and good marketing". Speaking of which got a lot of CD's how about a 300 disc changer?? You'll be suprised how quick it fills up. A sub for you is over kill considering you have RP3's. Hey about another set of RP3's or Rf3's 4 speakers 2 left and 2 right can be nice!

This message has been edited by Airpirate CVG on 09-12-2002 at 10:29 PM

i agree with an earlier poster.....go to separates...i just got a nad 1300 preamp off of ebay for my bedroom system and it is great!!!...super quiet and just what the doctor ordered for a 2-channel system....

there are also many good amp choices out there...nad...carver..i'm using a used samson servo 170 and it sounds great!!!