RSW 15 or SVS 20-39 pc+

johnny24c

Jonesey,

You keep suggesting TV should ask any structural engineer about the loss of structural integrity caused by cutting the cylinder and replacing the material with a steel plate amplifier. What structural engineer have you consulted with? Names and credentials please.

I'm an architect in Boston. I've had training in structures, both theory and application WRT to framing systems and more importantly, properties of structural shapes. I agree with TV's comments.

You're wrong so why don't you stop trolling?

If you don't like the looks of an SVS then fine, that's your right. Your comments about the sound go against professional reviews as well as what has to be at least 1,000 user reviews on various forums.

Until you start backing up your comments with real, verifiable facts and sources with credentials then it's extremely difficult to take anything you say seriously.

This message has been edited by erdric on 09-12-2002 at 06:18 PM

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ear,

no arguement here, even if the mighty HGS-18 sub and deep SVS tubes do not rumble as loud, they are cheap compared to the monster rumble chest. Even four of them would save about half the price of one Krell Master Reference Subwoofer!

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

Alias Smith and Jonesy, Earthquake subs are crap. They cant carry a screw of my SVS ultra. Might as well buy a whopee cushion and save a lot of bucks. he-he You can say you dont like salt on your fried crow either but you havent given anything to support your claim that the sound of the SVS is compromised by the amp. You haven't done anything to back up not getting SVS. So just keep eating your crow. he-he

------------------

Go Forth and Hump the World

foresthum,

I have offered plenty why the cutting of the cylinder is not good, my opinion. What have you offered to prove otherwise, absolutely nothing. Talking about your precious Ultra is nonsense. It is double the price of a PCi and does not have a built in amp (still looks ugly though, my opinion). The Earthquake/Sunfire type subs are compact subs that still punch well. Have you seen the Earthquake reviews in WSR magazine? I think not. I think you should just go back to the bathroom and enjoy your toilet rolls

ForrestDump...err I mean Gump,

I am happy you fell in love with your giant Ultra toilet paper roll covered with deluxe fabric.I hope you two will be a happy couple. Wink.gif

I hand it to TV and the SVS crew they use some serious TC Sounds drivers.The new SVS Ultra/SS driver is a beauty.

But dont you insult the ELfish cubes of sub bass Sunfire and Earthquake are.BTW the 15" Earthquake sub has most of the punch of the much larger Ultra roll!And the small Elf super cube the Sunfire Signature will go toe to toe with all SVS but the Ultra on most material.Just so you know

And the daddy cube the Revel B15 can pound with any Ultra roll.

I have to admit I like the giant Ultra rolls myself. Smile.gif

Anything producing powerful deep sub bass is good with me,even giant TP rolls!Now where is the Ultra Coffin with 18" Doom Woofers made by RIP Sounds?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>Remember I said a good structural engineer will know, but you also need to know a lot about audio and cylindrical enclosures and low frequencies as well. Anyway I don't like the idea of cutting a hole in the cylinder to mount the amp, my opinion<<

Well, I guess my years of education and experience in the real world are not 'good' enough for you. At least I can provide credentials to back up my comments. You're not providing anything but an axe to grind WRT SVS.

Let me see...are you suggesting that anyone who agrees with the premise of putting an amp into a cylinder doesn't know a lot about audio and low frequencies? Are you kidding me? Well, I guess you must be right given your vast knowledge and experience (still waiting for your credentials). I NEVER should have listened to those idiots Tom Vodhanel, Dr. Hsu, and Tom Nousaine. ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?! Your posts have to be the most uninformed comments I've read in a long time.

>>I have offered plenty why the cutting of the cylinder is not good, my opinion<<

You haven't offered ANYTHING! No FACTS, no CREDENTIALS, NOTHING but your opinion and believe me, we all know what your opinion is worth.

Why, WHY do I waste my time with trolls?

TV,

I have to say as an SVS owner that I couldn't agree more with the moderator.You come to the Klipsch site and promote your product without identifying yourself? Sounds a little underhanded.I don't come here under an assumed name to promote anything and neither do most folks here.Exposing yourself for all to see is called honesty in my opinion (for what its worth).How about a new handle such as SVS_VP?Then folks know exactly what they are dealing with.

dbImage,

TV (Tom Vodhanel, also the "V" in SVS) is very well known thruout the Sub community, and Bulletin Boards on the net. 90% of the members of this board know very well who he is as well. Do yourself a favor and search for username TV in the Sub section (using the Search utility) and see how much promoting he does on this site. I can tell you he has helped more people than you have, without even mentioning his company's name...

Mike

Edit: BTW, Tom owns many pairs of Klipsch speakers and has every right to be on this board just like anybody else (as long as he isn't promoting his product).

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-16-2002 at 11:20 AM

Mike

Mike : "TV (Tom Vodhanel, also the "V" in SVS) is very well known thruout the Sub community, and Bulletin Boards on the net. 90% of the members of this board know very well who he is as well. Do yourself a favor and search for username TV in the Sub section (using the Search utility) and see how much promoting he does on this site."

1)Tom Vodhanel is well know to YOU, Mike.This is a little hobby of mine , not my life.I don't every manufacturer by name.

Mike: "I can tell you he has helped more people than you have"

2)Mr. Vondhandels' expertise was not in question.I congradulate him on his wisdom.

BTW, Tom owns many pairs of Klipsch speakers and has every right to be on this board just like anybody else (as long as he isn't promoting his product).

3) That's exactly my point Mike , I'm glad we agree.

Mike

Mike : "TV (Tom Vodhanel, also the "V" in SVS) is very well known thruout the Sub community, and Bulletin Boards on the net. 90% of the members of this board know very well who he is as well. Do yourself a favor and search for username TV in the Sub section (using the Search utility) and see how much promoting he does on this site."

1)Tom Vodhanel is well know to YOU, Mike.This is a little hobby of mine , not my life.I don't know every manufacturer by name.

2)Mr. Vondhandels' expertise was not in question.I congradulate him on his wisdom.

BTW, Tom owns many pairs of Klipsch speakers and has every right to be on this board just like anybody else (as long as he isn't promoting his product).

Mike

1)Tom Vodhanel is well know to YOU, Mike.This is a little hobby of mine , not my life.I don't know every manufacturer\designer by name.

dbimage,

>>I have to say as an SVS owner that I couldn't agree more with the moderator.You come to the Klipsch site and promote your product without identifying yourself? Sounds a little underhanded.I don't come here under an assumed name to promote anything and neither do most folks here.Exposing yourself for all to see is called honesty in my opinion (for what its worth).How about a new handle such as SVS_VP?Then folks know exactly what they are dealing with.<<

How can you be an SVS owner and not know that TVodhanel (TV) is one of the founders of SVS? His name is all over the web and on the SVS website as well. In addition, it's near impossible to even hear about SVS without being online and reading reviews or posts. Tom and Ron are mentioned constantly in SVS posts. I find it difficult to believe that anyone who has read about SVS hasn't heard of him.

Isn't calling Tom's posts and/or actions 'underhanded' just a little strong? He has NEVER hidden his identity from anyone.

>>1)Tom Vodhanel is well know to YOU, Mike.This is a little hobby of mine , not my life.I don't every manufacturer by name.<<

Come on, Mike's points are valid. Tom IS well known around the HT/audio subwoofer community. Just because he's not known to you doesn't mean he's hiding his identity and ties to SVS.

You know what's truly sad about all of this? Tom and Ron are eventually going to tire of all the abuse and stop posting. When that happens we will all lose an extremely valuable resource. I hope those that cause it to happen will be pleased with themselves.

ericd

Maybe your right, there isn't a conflict of interest between TV and Klipsch.They both sell subs.

Look....I didn't intend for this to start a big argument...maybe this dude,TV, is a great guy. Maybe his cat or dog is nice too and maybe he's a wealth of valuable sub knowlege , however , with all my ignorance, I agree with the moderator....sorry

TV is almost a legend in subwoofers!How can any SVS owner or audiophile not know who Tom V. is,its beyond me. And he likes to argue! LOL

Paul Klipsch is a true legend,even those who dont love his aproach to speakers know his name.

Bob Carver is a maverick in amplifier design,another audio great.

Nelson Pass is another maverick and amplifier designer extraordinaire.Nothing less.

Dan Dagostino deserves to be in this elite group too,not only a owner but the lead designer of Krell.

Those who dont know these audio greats must live under a huge heavy rock.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I wasn't going to touch this thread... but what the heck!

First, I e-mailed SVS about a month ago concerning their Ultra package, and their summer sale. I was primed to buy, I wanted to buy. Given my circumstances (I am due for a deployment), both Tom and Rob individually e-mailed me. They both suggested I WAIT. I thought they were in the business to increase sales, shoot thats generally how a business makes money. Attack my choice of speaker or "Cheap Yammy Amp", and I'm willing to defend it. And I didn't even make it. TV will give you an honest assessment, and you know what? It will actually be based on facts! BobG, don't chase TV away. When Klipsch subs kick SVS, we'll start telling Tom he'd better get his act together.

Having said that, I did talk to a structural engineer and it seems cutting a hole in a tube will degrade its structural integrity. And putting windows in a house will diminish your home's strength, and installing doors in your car will decrease your likelihood of survival in a side-on collision. Funny thing is, I kinda like looking out my windows. And I still haven't quite figured out how to get in a door-free car. Oh well, I guess you have to make some compromises in life.

By the way, nothing I have said here is based on my opinion... its just the facts.

NOTE: I for one appreciate Klipsch for hosting this site. I also truly appreciate their "hands off" approach. - Thanks Klipsch!

In the end I am correct,and nobody can dismiss or argue the following.

"Very true,when you cut a hole in a cylinder structure you do compromise the structural integrity.But like Dusty said not enough to compromise in any audible way the sound in this case.And Like ole TV said when you add a plate amp,the metal plate will negate the most of the lost structural integrity."

TheEAR has spoken

TheEAR(s) Now theears

FRICKETY DOOOOO DAAAAHHHH - Cant even figure out what to cut and paste as quotes from who the flock.. The quotes are so extreeema deep. Sorry been gone for a bit. Looks like the cat got out of the bag when no one was looking (reading) though.

LOL LeSs...WhEeEe.....HA HAHAHAHAHA.....TTFN WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

cwm29.gif

jeez even the banananaanans need help....

FRONTAL BAY WINDOW TIME.....YEEEAAAAA

This message has been edited by cluless on 09-18-2002 at 08:05 PM