Recall a Khorn Bose-clone hybrid?

DizRotus

In the 70s there was a small company (probably a guy from his garage) that sold a unit that purported to combine the bass horn of a Khorn (a copy) with the nine drivers of a Bose 901. I don't recall if there was a dedicated tweeter. If memory serves, ads were run in Audio. Does anyone remember these odd creations?

Lord, those are a mess... something only a Mother could love (and even then, she would have reservations).

Of course, they may be loaded drivers of promise but somehow I doubt it. Then again, you never know. The layout is positively insane with multiple drivers, a smaller woofer, and no vent at the bottom ala CW. Looks like a Monster Pro Monitor Heresy with driver inferiority complex.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-08-2002 at 10:14 AM

We should make a pool to buy them, then burn the poor things.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

That IS a copy of an old Klipsch cabinet, one was recently on E-bay, I forget what is was called, Rebel maybe? I think the guy did a nice job. They probably put plenty of undistorted sound into the room. The double mids and tweets ain't gonna do much for imaging though, probably making some weird nulls and peaks, especially the way he laid them out. Still the fella did a nice job, I respect that.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Maybe he did a nice job with the woodwork, but why all the multiple drivers? This makes no sense. And what about the volume vs the fact that is has no port or any kind, either horn loaded or vent ala CW? Also, the woofer size is problematic is it not? I have never seen an plans with these specified drivers/layout etc. Have you?

kh

Almost $800 asked for these jokes! HA LOL

If the seller gets his asking price then I will know the world is too full of fools.

Multiple horn tweeters and midranges make for a very time aligned,point source speakers. cwm27.gif

What a grotesque coffin these boom boxes.The buyer must be a nostalgic dreamer or on heavy medication.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The speaker appears to be a copy of the Klipsch Rebel, check the attatchment. I can't identify the mids and tweets, perhaps Hepner mids. Hepners were cheap but sounded decent. If using bargain mids and tweets the builder may have determined that doubling them would give lower distortion and higher clean output than singles. Perhaps that was more important to him than the problems such doubling would cause. That's called a compromise fellas, all speakers have them.

Myself, I would have stacked the mids and tweets for less lobing. But I suspect these speakers do some things very well and sound pretty decent.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 09-08-2002 at 04:35 PM

Mobile--Come to think of it my copy of "Building Loudspeaker Enclosures" by Davis and Badmeinoff DOES have plans for this speaker, the Rebel, in it. I'll have to dig it out.

Most of us old hornies have a copy, was written in the 60s, and many of us used the Altec, Klipsch and Jensen plans and the information on crossover building and vented box design in the book to get started. My new 825 cabinets were built from the plans in the book. The writers were Big Kahunas at Altec.

Mobile---No, the plan doesn't call for the multiple drivers, it's a simple enclosure plan. What I meant, and didn't make clear, was that the builder was copying the Klipsch enclosure. The builder was evidently using the Rebel bassbin as a base to take-off with.

Hey, to change the subject a little, I heard my pal Kurt's (builder of mighty TriPaths and Gaincard clones)"new" Tannoys today. He got ahold of a pair of the 15" coax drivers used in the Churchill real cheap. But they sounded bad. Turns out the compression driver magnets were misaligned and the voicecoils were scraping in the gap. He took the drivers apart and shifted the magnets and reglued them to the plate.

Anyway the damn things sound pretty good, pretty good indeed. Low distortion, big effortless sound, excellent clarity, nice image and depth. He pushed them with his "mini" gaincard clone, about 10 watts a channel. His AudioNote 300B SET sat on a table a few feet away, unused. :-) Anyway this has me thinking Tannoys now, might look for drivers.

There are some excellent Tannoy Monitor Golds on ebay I was following but they just sold for 900. I have always been interested in this speaker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1377231327&rd=1

Glad to know you liked it. I'll be passing some judgment on that Gaincard Clone one of these days. My buddy in Quebec with the Lamhorns says it's nice and clean and very open sounding but a bit sterile.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-08-2002 at 06:03 PM

Mobile--The clone is pretty good; we were comparing the Tannoy-clones with Kurt's JBL CS-3115s powered by Monarchy class A amps that are on the other end of the (VERY big) room. The Tannoys certainly held their own. This was the first time I'd heard Tannoys in about 25 years.

I wanted to hear the AudioNote but didn't want to bother Kurt into hooking it up. The last time I heard the amp was through Kurt's LaScalas and the sound was, well, pretty bad, to me anyway, Kurt too. I blame the LSs though, they DID sound exactly like LSs.:-) Kurt sold them to another club member last week for $600 (they were choice too), what he had in them, and made the guy very happy.

The Tannoy drivers are the new ones with ferrite magnets and seperate magnets for the woofer and compression driver and the "tulip" phasing plug. The old Alnico ones used a common magnet for both drivers and the "salt-shaker" phase plug. I understand that the Tannoy freaks can wrangle for hours over which design sounds better. :-)

The seller is a liar!

Just read the description damit,its starts with...

"These are great sounding Klipsch Horns."

Klipsch Horns sure sure,first of all these are not even Klipsch speakers.It does not matter if some Klipsch drivers are being used,some who dont know may think these are Klipsch Horn speakers,as they are NOT.

And $800 is being asked! LOL Better throw the money away then to give to the seller.

TheEAR(s) Now theears