SOLD: Sansui SR-838 Turntable with 2 Cartridges - True Vintage Quality

tlarwa

If you're in the market for a classic SR-838, you may not find one much nicer. This table is performing well, and has been cleaned and detailed to the glowing condition shown in the photos. I want to be as accurate as possible about the condition of the table, so here goes:

-Original spring-loaded rubber feet were rotted, as is typical with these tables. They have been replaced with Audioquest isolation feet, which are the same diameter as the stock feet and fit perfectly. This is a definite upgrade over the old stock feet.
-The dustcover has been polished and is crystal clear. There are a couple scratches, but you have to be looking for them to see them. There are no scuffs, cracks or crazing of the acrylic. The hinges work perfectly and the cover can be easily removed and reinstalled if you like listening without the cover in place.
-The arm is in perfect shape. The anti-skate is original and 100% functional. The main weight is included but the small sub weight is not. You honestly don't need it unless you plan to run a really heavy cartridge. The headshell is the original one that was included with the table new, and has the adjustable azimuth feature.
-The pneumatic arm lift works perfectly.
-The original SV-43 cartridge is included (which works fine) as well as a nearly new AT 120E, which is a great match for this arm.
-The gloss black base looks fantastic. There are no chips, gouges or corner damage. There are some scratches/rub marks under the outer diameter of the platter, but they are not visible with the platter in place.
-The 45 adaptor and original platter mat are included.
-The power cord, RCA cables and ground wire are all original, intact and 100% functional.

Now about the speed and the strobe lamp... the strobe lamp is burnt out, I checked the other components in the strobe circuit (mainly resistors) and they are in spec. So I know it's the lamp that needs to be replaced. I have a box of NE-2 lamps that I'll include. I just didn't want to get into the circuit to replace it, although it should be an easy job. That said, the speed is accurate in both Quartz and non -Quartz modes. I adjusted them myself, and used the handy RPM app on my iPhone to verify speed accuracy. Speed is as follows:

Quartz mode:
33.17 (-.60%)
45.09 (+.20%)

Non-Quartz mode:
33.37 (+.12%)
45.06 (+.13%)

The table holds speed and sounds fantastic. This is an extremely well made and solid vintage table (it weighs 28 pounds!) and is what I personally consider to be one of the most handsome tables of the classic era of vinyl. It truly is a beautiful table.

I know how do pack a table properly, having shipped at least 5 over the last few years. The platter will be removed, wrapped in bubble wrap and placed under the table. The arm will be locked down, as will the drive mechanism. The headshell will be removed and packed separately, as will the cartridges. The entire table will be protected in the box by 1-1/2" to 2" of foam insulation on all sides and top/bottom to protect against corner drops. I've never had an issue with shipping damage and will pack it like I would want it to be packaged if I were buying it! Local pick-up is available in the Chicago or Milwaukee areas.

SOLD and I'll split the shipping costs (UPS) in the CONUS.  Not cheap, but I don't believe there are many around in nicer condition.  

Photos can be seen in my Photobucket folder here:  http://photobucket.com/albums/ab65/tlarwa/SR-838

• 10 months later...

Congrats on your sale!  I was a big vintage audio buff but not so much anymore so as a result I have an excellent SR-838 for sale locally in the Chicago area.  The setup I had with it was a Sansui B2101/C2102 combo on Klipsch LaScalas. I've lurked here for some time now and I hope to contribute more here!  Thanks for having me!   

• Like 1

I must have missed this thread back when but nice vintage turntable. I have a Sansui XR-Q11 in the closet that needs repair. It's a beast too. I hope to have it repaired someday and use it with my Dad's 9090DB.

Keith

8 hours ago, T2K said:

I must have missed this thread back when but nice vintage turntable. I have a Sansui XR-Q11 in the closet that needs repair. It's a beast too. I hope to have it repaired someday and use it with my Dad's 9090DB.

Keith

Nice setup that amp is legendary!