Yamaha Receivers

erikjohn

I am considering buying the Yamaha RX-V1 for my setup as it has been replaced by a new model and can be picked up at a discounted price.

Does anyone have anything to say about this receiver? Does it have 5 channel stereo?

How do the front effects sound?

Is the rear center a discrete channel or is it an effect?

Is it upgradeable to 7.1?

How does the power rating stack up?

Do you like the built in equalizer?

Burr-Brown DAC's???

Are all channels Pre-ampable?

Can it be used for Bi-Amping?

For $1500 is it worth the money or is there a better similiarly priced model out there that is better?

I am also considering the RX-V3200.

------------------

K-horn's(Main)

Cornwall's(Rear)

Heresey's(Center)

KSW-12(Sub)

Yamaha HTR 5150

61" Hitachi WIDESCREEN

Dish Net w/Opt Out

Xbox w/Comp Out(DVD)

JVC S-VHS

Pioneer 6 Disk CD

Sony Minidisk

-------------------------

Can you hear me now?

I have the RX-V1 and love it, unfortunately I paid a lot more for it. You can download a copy of the owners manual from Yamaha which will answer your questions.

It doesn't have 5 channel stereo. I haven't played much with front effects. It is not upgradable to 7.1. It has plenty of clean power. Never used the eq. I don't have a comparison for the DAC's. Has 7 or so input channels and all channels have outputs for amps.

Except for the inability to upgrade to newer surround modes (not a worry to me), I think it is well worth $1500.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), 1978 Heresy's on the way

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

I have the 3000 and that is simular to the V1. They can be had for around $1000.00 right now. The 3000 does have 8 channel stereo, you have to count the front effect channels and the rear center. The newer model of the 3000 droped the front effect channels, so the only way to get front effects now is to buy the V1. I think the new model V1 now has 8 channel stereo, but you don't want to go with the higher price.

I would never have another Rec. or pre-pro because I love those front effect channels. The sound of this receiver is nice, but I use six of my pre-outs to a McIntosh 6 channel amp. The 3000 powers four channels, the front effects and a second pair of rear surrounds.

Go to the Yamaha site like Jim said.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 09-09-2002 at 11:01 AM

Like Q, I have the RX-V3000 as well. If you really want all channel stereo, you might try to find one of these models on close-out. The price will be quite a bit less now too as this model was replaced by the RX-V3200. The 3000 has burr-brown dac's at the front and center channels only....

I spent $900.00 for this one a while back, so you can probably find it even cheaper now.

$1500.00 sounds very reasonable for the RX-V1 too!

Both are FINE receivers.

Yup, the Yamaha site is the best place to check them out..............

Take care

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog)

I also have the RX-V3000 and love it. The old flagship RX-V1 would be a great piece, mine just fit my budget better. I am just now on the virge of experimenting with the front effects channels. It just takes awhile to accumulate that many speakers.

Good Luck!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS

Mains: Black La Scalas

Rears: Walnut Belles

(Restoring La Scalas for rears)

Center: Black KLF C7

(Replaced with Belle soon)

Rear Center: None Yet

Front Effects: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT-150

Extra: Black Chorus IIs

Receiver: Yamaha RXV3000

TV: HD Toshiba 61" 61H70

DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

Thanks for the reply's. I bought the RX-V1 from the local Sound Advice last night ($1499.99 @ 48% discount). I now that I could have gotten it cheaper online but I get piece of mind knowing that if it breaks down I can take just down the road for repairs or replacement. I was suprised that it was only $90 dollars for the 5 year extended warranty. I thought that was reasonable. The sales guy said that they have plenty of them in stock for anyone that's interested. I would imagine that you could get that price at any SA in USA.

The first thing I noticed about the amp was that the additional weight in the back of the truck on the way home helped smooth out the ride. This thing is a monster. I didn't have much time to fool around with it but right off the bat I noticed alot more detail and range in the sound on the 5.1 DD. The sound didn't sound so compressed or processed. I think I am really gong to like it.

------------------

K-horn's(Main)

Cornwall's(Rear)

Heresey's(Center)

KSW-12(Sub)

Yamaha HTR 5250

61" Hitachi WIDESCREEN

Dish Net w/Opt Out

Xbox w/Comp Out(DVD)

JVC S-VHS

Pioneer 6 Disk CD

Sony Minidisk

Can you hear me now?

This message has been edited by erikjohn on 09-11-2002 at 07:09 AM

Mike/Q-Man,

I love to see hear his setup. Hopefully I can get away from the building the addition long enough to get out there. If Q is cool with it I'd like to swing out to his place after work some day since I am working right over there at the cruise terminal 5 at the Port. Maybe we could meet over there on a Friday late afternon or something like that.

Erik

------------------

K-horn's(Main)

Cornwall's(Rear)

Heresey's(Center)

KSW-12(Sub)

Yamaha HTR 5150

61" Hitachi WIDESCREEN

Dish Net w/Opt Out

Xbox w/Comp Out(DVD)

JVC S-VHS

Pioneer 6 Disk CD

Sony Minidisk

Can you hear me now?

erikjohn, don't mean to rain on your parade, but I received a mailing the other day from Tweeter (they own SA) and they listed the RX-V1 for $1399. You might check with your dealer to see if they will honor that price. $100 will buy you 2 feet of good speaker wire :^).

Keith

Thanks for the info Keith. I will definitely do that.

Erik

------------------

K-horn's(Main)

Cornwall's(Rear)

Heresey's(Center)

KSW-12(Sub)

Yamaha HTR 5150

61" Hitachi WIDESCREEN

Dish Net w/Opt Out

Xbox w/Comp Out(DVD)

JVC S-VHS

Pioneer 6 Disk CD