The Flat Frequency Respone, Yes/No for Music

derrickdj1

Look at a screen shot of my FR at 1/12 smoothing, you can easily see the difference. This is alot more flat and without the trough I pointed out to you. Just trying to help you out, I think you should here what something like this sounds like vs your current measurement.

Current Eq.jpg

I would love to hear your system.  I was fooling around with the subs today for HT use.  One graph only goes to 200 Hz for EQ'ing the subs for max impact.  There are two other graphs, one using MCACC in the SS system and the other of the tube system with the 9 band EQ.  All of these graphs are with 1/12 th smoothing. 

Oct. 28, 2016 FR MV-10.png

Oct 28, 2016 FR MV -20 MCACC.png

Oct 28, 2016 FR tube system with 75 Hz rumble fliter EQ.png

The HT graph has all 8 subs on and is not used for music.  I only use the front subs for music in this preset.  The graphs out to 20 kHz shows the FR of the SS system with the SC 99/Acurus amp combo in the HT system.  For music I would just knock out the rear subs.  The tube system graph is with the 9 band EQ'lizer.  All of these graphs are acceptable and sound good with music.  As you can see from the SS system, I have a good reference on a flat response.

The tube system sounds fantastic.  The two systems do sound different with each having it's plus and minuses.  I split my time for music between the two system and still can't decide which is better.  The SS system uses advance DSP/ Full band phase control, Sub EQ, standing wave correction, ect.  The tube system is simple, just ran off the BDP and a small EQ'lizer.

I use EQ as a tool and but, don't rely on it for what I am hearing.  You can have a great FR graph that will not show phase issues, reverb and standing wave issues.  I don't shoot for a straight line graph due to these things.  My goal is a good graph with a tolerance of +/- 5 or 6.  This is different than what is widely accepted for tolerance but, works for me.

One thing I like with the I Nuke amps, the ability to use 4 or 5 different preset all with different tailored bass response.  The ability to tailor a system is key for me since I'm the one that has to listen to it and like it.  This was the point of getting an EQ'lizer for the tube system.  It had to be simple, look nice, and fit on the main console without taking up a bunch of space.  I've owned a better multiband EQ'lizer in the past and did not want to go in that direction.  I have a bit more sparkling highs from the tube system and love the cymbals.  I would say the tube system is closer to a live performance.

On 10/29/2016 at 10:09 AM, canyonman said:

Well if you like the way it sounds that's all that really matters, I was just trying to point out some things I noticed in your FR. As far as phasing goes when you have a nice flat response the phasing usually is good. 

The second FR of the tube system is much better than the first graph in the thread.  It's not perfect but, sounds real good.  Thanks for pointing out some things. That's what makes these threads more educational.

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

The second FR of the tube system is much better than the first graph in the thread.  It's not perfect but, sounds real good.  Thanks for point out some things. That's what makes these threads more educational.

Do you have any acoustic treatment in the room?