Advice for speakers...

GhostTX

I currently have a Technics SA-AX540 which claims 100W x 5 for home theater.

I'm trying to work with budget of around $400-500 for a 5.1 setup on Klipsch speakers. Any suggestions as to what products would fit for me? I've been examining the Quints, but I'd like some feed back from others.

Also, the center channel needs to be well shielded.

Thanks.

I would have to agree that $500 for an entire speaker system is pretty cheap. You may want to go the used route. Ubid is very risky, and you didn't include shipping, which Ubid charges an arm and a leg for. I don't know what your expectations are, but you can do much better than the quints for your money.

I would recommend getting a used larger front speaker system with a good matching center channel. Get those Quints for the rear if you want, and forget the sub for now. Spend you money on a good set of full range mains.

For example, you can could buy my KG3.2s and KV2 for about $500, and you would be much better off than quintets. This is just an example.

T-man

If its a challenge you want.

I'm looking for a good 5.1 setup. I'm tired of my mish-mash of Technics center and the 3-way Stereo speakers up front (12" woofer, mid, and tweeter) and the two 2-way KLH's I have in back.

I'd like to get something that encompass' me more and yet still work within my budget. Mind you $500 is what I want to spend as a base price, excluding taxes/shipping/etc.

I have no idea where to look or what to get. I know Klipsch is an awesome name, so I thought I'd start here.

GhostTX,

If your truely tired to the mush, Klipsch is the way to go IMHO. You will get good bang for the buck. Must get a bigger budget or buy in increments--what I'm doing. Just a word of advice: The more you listen the more you will want to upgrade--make a sound decision first. Go listen to the different lines and decide what you can live with!

PhilH, no, no liquidation sale here.Just offering examples.Might sell some though.

No, not going to sell right now.I ought to though.Boy,I sure hate to sell any of my speakers.Is something wrong with me? Probably

just need to buy more Klipsch speakers.I'll feel better then.Yeah, thats the ticket. biggrin.gif

Keith

GhostTX, seems when you try to help others enjoy a hobby that you enjoy yourself so much,a person sometimes gets his/her butt in a bind.But after a moments thought,frankly my

dear,I don't give a damn.So on we go.To answer your question with all the knowledge and past experience that I have with this addiction and your limited budget I would recommend to you,with the limited info you have provided about your tastes,room size,etc.that you check E-Bay under Klipsch speakers and note the KG2.5's there.These speakers won high reviews back in 1994? when they were introduced.Also listed on E-Bay are a pair of Klipsch KG1.5's and a Klipsch SW8II subwoofer.The sub of course is not going to shake the walls but will do an admirable job for the price.Put it in a corner.Set the crossover at about 60dB.If you do a search you will see that the matching center,KV1,sells for usually around $85-90 dallars on E-Bay.Wait around and shortly the KV1 or KV2 will magically appear for sale on E-Bay.Or you could,if desparate,

send me a private message and I can tell you where to find a KV2.For the investment you will not find (IMO) a better sounding high quality speaker combination than this for your money.They will work well with your reciever and play loud.And when you get ready

to upgrade you should be able to get a decent return on your investment.You do the homework.But do it quickly.And may the force be with you.

Keith

Thought I'd jump in here.........

Keith is right! I agree that the KG1.5, and KG2.5 ARE GREAT little speakers! I own the KG2.2 (older version of the 2.5), and the KG1.5's and they SMOKE the competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EBAY has been very very good to me........ biggrin.gif

Later

Mike

I need to chime in here. Those 2.5s currently on Ebay are crap. The guy sent me pics, and one corner is chipped off, and another speaker has major scratches and blemishes. All this despite his claimed "excellent condition" Buyer beware!

Like I said earlier, I have awesome set of KG 3.2s - a step up from 2.5/2.2. I also have the matching KV2 center channel for sale. Total investement = <$500.