Which floor model? R7's or 280FA

skip

I was looking into buying the R7's but I just seen a pair of the 280FA and now I'm torn between the two. I will be buying the front two then slowly adding on the surrounds and subs in the next 6 months. That being said I'm trying to decide if I truely want the R7's or should I go with the newer design 280's with atmos? I have got to hear both but haven't had a chance to hear both side by side or at the same place. Maybe next month I will be able to do that. Seeig that both our around the same place right now. What do you guys like or dislike about each when comparing the two?

Hi Skip. Welcome to the forum. If you are talking about the RF-7IIs and later on getting the RC-64II I would think those would be the better speakers. That said, I'm not seeing those being the same price and in fact they are well over twice the price of the 280Fs.....So if it isn't those you are talking about possibly you could clarify because I don't think there is an "R7." :) 

Only advantage of the RP-280FA is cheaper price, and if you plan on doing up-firing Atmos it's a little cleaner solution.  RP-140SA modules on RF-7ii's don't sound or look as good as the 280FA's, but, the finish and compression driver of the 7's are way nicer.  

Yes the 7's were on sale from crutchfield for $1099 each. The local store near me doesn't price match and doesn't seem to work with the little guy. So I drove just a little over an hour away. That dealer is also in Klipsch dealers online. Anyway they would price match so. I guess I missed them for $1099 because they are back to $1599

Having owned both 280F and RF-7II, I can say the 7 is better. However, they are surprisingly close in performance. At the levels I listened, I would never get distortion on either set. The 7 have a bit deeper and fuller tone, while the 280 is smoother. You really can't go wrong with either one.

It's surprisingly hard to tell them apart with music at low'ish levels.  Where you can really tell the difference is higher volume movies, such as glass shattering.  The 7's handle that stuff with ease while the 280's can sound strained and may be more uncomfortable.