Klipschorn Questions

ATLAudio

47 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

HORNS have almost all of the sonic energy being DIRECTED forward, literally being FUNNELED forward, whereas CONE DRIVERS don't.  That is why you can stand behind, for example, an MCM 1900 system when it is cranking, and carry on a normal conversation, whereas if you were standing in front of it you could scream to your heart's content and still not be heard by someone standing right in front of you.  Horn energy goes FORWARD.  Cone energy tends to go outward...ie, wider dispersion...with loss of efficiency due to more width of dispersion.

So, keep that in mind when you are talking about reflections and such from adjacent walls when speakers are put into corners.

I think this explains it to me the best. I had not thought of how with a Khorn or LaScala, that the controlled directivity goes into the bass as well. This makes sense. 

HDBRbuilder,

I bought my Klipschorns local some years ago for a low cost, because they were the decorator style in bad cosmetic appearance, but had solid cabinets, and because of that I made some top boards for them, completely veneered them with light colored stain, and for fun gave their tweeters their own cabinets, so I could adjust them back for time alignment and vertical as recommended by some.

Although my Klipschorns are in corners, I went ahead and built 3/4" MDF solid false corners with top and bottom boards and extra front flared boards that seem to help some too and they give me the ability to adjust the top cabinets fronts positions up or down and sideways not restricted by the corner position only placement. 

Eventually I put in new tweeter and mid diaphragms, woofers, crossovers, all new wiring and connectors including to woofers, and woofer door seals.

Next I'm going to rebuild their top cabinets to factory style, but with their grill cloth fronts removable, but still looking stock when they're on. I will be also re-staining them darker and maybe re-veenering them too.

I feel having the tops aimed down and outward toward my ears improves sound and stereo imagining. Their top cabinets being placed on top of rubber balls separates them from and stops them from being resonated from the bass cabinets, but no evaluation has been done to see if it actually improves sound, but I like how the balls direct the tops toward my ears and it looks good enough for me, so I will stay with it, but your idea is clever and be sure to let me know when you do it and post photos too, so I can see your method.

Footnote: I got my Klipschorns at a low cost because of their lower cost simpler raw decorator style, older 1978 year age, and bad cosmetic condition. Their original crossovers and woofers were then sold on eBay which surprisingly paid for the majority of the cost of their new replacements. Their original four diaphragms probably didn't need replacing, but because of their age I replaced them all anyway and they weren't much of a cost and easy to replace. I did all the work myself which saved me money and gave me a lot of learning about them, satisfaction, and pride when listening. When I soon redo them to look more like stock, they should look better. I didn't hear much improvement moving the tweeters back and vertical, so I'm rebuilding the top cabinets to look better stock and for improved resale value.