Klipsch KG4 vs 4.2

Futurist

They have these all over Criaglist list.. I'm not crazy about the KG 4 having the woofer on back.. But Do they have more bass than the 4.2.. 

I could go for the 3.2 with a subwoofer.. 25 yrs ago I know someone who had Forte's and those blew my mind!...

Edited by Futurist
  • Like 1

I just acquired a pair of kg4's and I'm not that impressed at all. They are a good speaker, but nothing special, I'm more impressed with the kg2's. That being said, I've never heard the kg4.2's, but I had a pair of kg5.2's that I sold to my cousin. The kg5.2's really didn't have much bass at all, I would probably advise using a sub. However, the kg5.2's had the best natural mid-range and high frequencies (aside from my klipschorns and my belles) that I've heard. I think the kg4 would have more bass.

• Like 3

You are correct about the back passive woofer, it makes placement a little trickier and its exposed to damage which is bad as they are hard to replace. If you get them I would go to Parts Express and get a 15'' grill to protect it like this one:

https://www.parts-express.com/15-waffle-style-black-steel-speaker-grill-with-rubber-edge--260-375

You can probably just hot glue it on 4 points along the rim so it wont be permanent but will give you some piece of mind.

I would personally go with the KG 4.2 as it has the better tractrix horn and front passive woofer. The KG series is great for music and Home Theater matching so if you want to get a larger set later on like the KG 5.5 you can use the KG 4.2s as surround sound.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weber said:

Although they might cost you 2x as much, they sound 4x better, IMHO. :mellow:

Hold out for Forte if you can. 

I will because they blew my mind!... Even 25 yrs later I still think about them.. I can't believe how many Klipsch speakers are on Craigslist and there are always around 5-10 pair's.. 

6 minutes ago, Weber said:

Location will have a lot to do with that. What I find on CL is what was sold at BB...you don't want that. 

Whats BB?.. I'm not in a rush but they do have one now.. And Have have seen many... I only will allow myself to own 1 more set of speakers.. So I will wait for the right time.. here is one.. 

https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/5876434384.html

5 hours ago, Futurist said:

here is one.

The ones in the ad look to be worth the money, especially if he throws in the cables and if they're close to you. They look better than my first Forte and are priced close to the same. I used them until I got some KLF30, then sold them for what I had in them - then had sellers remorse <_<.

Cons:

They are a little bit rough on the top 

Missing badges

Pros:

One could find a something to place on the tops to hide the chew places (cloth, smoked glass, marble) 

It's not hard to find badges and the look fine without them

The price is right

Most people price a little high than what they have to have and you might do a little better than the asking price

They are far from what I would call beaters

Last but not least - They are Forte and should sound wonderful

If there's no way you're going to be replacing your next purchase and what you get are going to be in and area where you'll be showing them off, then you might hold out for ones in better condition. A few months ago, I sold a pair of Forte that are in a lot better condition to a fellow forum member for only $80 more than the ones in the ad.

If there is a chance that you'll be able to score and swap out for some in better condition for ~ the same price, then you might buy these to do that....I would.

If they are close, be a tire kicker and go hear them on the equipment that's driving them....you never know.   

9 hours ago, Weber said:

The ones in the ad look to be worth the money, especially if he throws in the cables and if they're close to you. They look better than my first Forte and are priced close to the same. I used them until I got some KLF30, then sold them for what I had in them - then had sellers remorse <_<.

Cons:

They are a little bit rough on the top 

Missing badges

Pros:

One could find a something to place on the tops to hide the chew places (cloth, smoked glass, marble) 

It's not hard to find badges and the look fine without them

The price is right

Most people price a little high than what they have to have and you might do a little better than the asking price

They are far from what I would call beaters

Last but not least - They are Forte and should sound wonderful

If there's no way you're going to be replacing your next purchase and what you get are going to be in and area where you'll be showing them off, then you might hold out for ones in better condition. A few months ago, I sold a pair of Forte that are in a lot better condition to a fellow forum member for only $80 more than the ones in the ad.

If there is a chance that you'll be able to score and swap out for some in better condition for ~ the same price, then you might buy these to do that....I would.

If they are close, be a tire kicker and go hear them on the equipment that's driving them....you never know.   

Cool... ya I'm in no rush, i'm going to wait when I have the $ and find some guy who has used them for playing classical or jazz music out of them.. instead of someone who has beaten them or blasted for 20 + yrs.. They sound like you're at a concert!.. i have the RF 82's and I love them but those have the fullest sound I have ever heard..

6 hours ago, Grizzog said:

I've said 1 more pair a number of times. Now I have 9 pairs.

...although some will be sold soon so I still have a home to listen to the others in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG!.... 9... That's awesome!.. Do they all sound the same?.. because they're around 25 yrs old. God where in the hell do you put them all.. That must look like a warehouse.. Do you have pics of them?

OMG!.... 9... That's awesome!.. Do they all sound the same?.. because they're around 25 yrs old. God where in the hell do you put them all.. That must look like a warehouse.. Do you have pics of them?

Not 9 pairs of the same...but that's actually a small amount compared to some here.

Altec 19
Chorus II
Forte
Heresy II
Heresy III
KG2.2
RS35
Presonus Sceptre S6
Pioneer CS99-A

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

Not 9 pairs of the same...but that's actually a small amount compared to some here.

Altec 19
Chorus II
Forte
Heresy II
Heresy III
KG2.2
RS35
Presonus Sceptre S6
Pioneer CS99-A

Oh well still a lot... whats your favorite?.. 

• Like 1