need help deciding...

prodj101

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to get the RF-5's, the RF-7's, or the new THX klipsch. I'm looking to spend around 1,500 to 2,200, and will be making my purchase the end of winter or end of summer.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

oh, by the by, this will be used in my bedroom most likely, than i can have 2 seperate rooms, one for home theatre, one for strictly music. I am also considering the RB-5's.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

For that kind of money you can get TWO pairs of Cornwalls or La Scala's. Have you heard the older Heritage line? How about Heresy's? I would at least try and hear some prior to plopping down that kind of cash for the RF-7's.

BTW, I have nothing against the RF-7's. I have heard them (showroom only) and liked them, but preferred the sound of my Chorus's. Maybe I just like a good 3-way.

Anyway, it's something else to consider...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Tough choices.

Based on your signature line, I'll assume you already have the RSW-15 -- is that right?

Are you planning on keeping those SF-2's, or can you trade them in on your next purchase? If not, I would still sell them and put the money towards some RB5's to run with the RSW-15. This is an absolutely killer setup. The RB5's are the most dynamic speaker in the Reference line -- and they excel with movies. This option would leave you enough money to land a pair of RF5's for the music system you want to build.

The new THX speakers that are coming out appear to be VERY similiar to the RC7, the matching center channel for the RF7. When I upgraded from my RB5's, I actually used two RC7's in a 2 channel setup. You'll have to wait and see what price point the new THX speakers come in at to make a valid comparison. Two RC7's cost $1500, which is the same as a pair of RF5's. However, with the THX speakers, you'll get the monster horn found in the RF7 -- which the RF5 does not use. Also, keep in mind that for anything that is not a floorstander, you have to factor in stands -- which don't always come cheap.

I will say that if you can only have one pair of speakers -- the RF7's are the ones to have. You get close to the dynamics of the RB5, with loads of tight bass, and very open, unrestricted sounding high frequencies.

I am with Mike on this, not only because I think that Klipschs big old horns are cheap to the market, but I also think the larger more efficient loudspeakers would be a better music and movie match with both the RSW-15 low-body blows and the refined Macintosh sound. I do like the looks, size, sound and price of the RB5s, but I also feel that the bigger the horn, the better the Klipsch. This translates into the loudspeaker too the bigger the loudspeaker, the better the Klipsch: buy the biggest loudspeakers you can.

BTW, I havent heard a music system with a great sub that also wasnt a killer movie system too.

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

Here I will get rid of one of the options for you. Don't get the RF-5's. Not many people have them. If they have a tight budget they get the RF-3II's if not the RF-7's. This is because the the RF-5's just don't seem worth the extra price over the RF-3II's for only a bigger horn. With the RF-7 you get the extra bass too. Just my opinion though.

------------------

27" 3 line digital comb filter JVC TV

Denon AVR-2802 Receiver

Denon CDM-270 CD Player

Aiwa DVD Player (sucks)

Klipsch RF3-II's Fronts

Klipsch RC3-II Center

Infinity HPS-250 Subwoofer

Yamaha ??? surrounds

69"X76" Hand made oak entertainment center.